16| OPINIONS DON'T MATTER.

Aradhya sat on her bed, embroidering into a red cloth while Nandini sat complaining about herself.

"I am indecisive. I don't know what to do. Mother wants me to get married and Vihaan expects me to become a good able princess and all. What should I do?" Nandini asked Aradhya

Aradhya set down her stuff and looked at Nandini. To be honest she had a tough time in the beginning as she lingered on the thought of Vihaan in Shiladhika but she was drawn back when Nandini started talking about her issues.

"You wanna hear about my experience?" She asked

"You've been here too?"

"You know I'm good at swordplay right? Well, you know I never really wanted to do this. I was a young kid of nine when Bhairavi Ma pushed me to do it. And you know, I didn't know anything then. I did what I was told to do. I went through harsh training. Ma told me to do that because she...she wanted to become a warrior but never could."

"So she forced what she wanted to be on you?"

"Yes. I was thrown into the world of blades when I was just nine. And I was scared. I was more sacred about disappointing people than I was about blades. I had no interest in it."

"Then why did you do it so skillfully? No one does something that professionally when they don't want to do it."

"That is the thing. The fear of disappointing others makes you do many things. And sometimes what others tell you to do might be good for you but not exactly joyful. But I for one...realised. While I was trying to meet everyone's expectations, I wasn't even taking my mind to the expectations I had for myself. I realised that my life was commanded by someone else."

"You mean to say that your life wasn't yours at all."

"That's why I'm telling you, be the protagonist of your own life. What do you want to do? Do it. If you fear rejection then you fear that person. May it be your mother, brother or even me. And things done out of fear is always nothing but slavery. You may be enslaved by your parents. Anyone."

Aradhya leaned closer to Nandini, "so, what do you want to do with your life?"

"I want to be...a doctor. I know it sounds ridic--"

"Be it. No one can stop you."

All Aradhya felt after that was a bone smashing hug from Nandini. She smiled and hugged her back while reminiscing her days when she went through the same difficulties.

. . . .

"Are you sure you saw the right one?" Sadhana asked feeling tensed at what Aradhya had conveyed to her. Aradhya just looked down feeling dejected. She fiddled with the ends of her veil.

"Yes. I saw the letter sent from Shiladhika. I couldn't possibly miss it."

"So you're telling me Vihaan went there to marry your sister? Is he serious?"

Nandini intervened gently parting Darsh on his back, "Rihit is gone too."

"Why would he not even tell us? We're his wives for the name of God!" Sadhana let out an exasperated sigh. She looked over at Aradhya who was quiet. She was sad more than confused or angry.

"What is it?" Sadhana asked pressing her hand on hers.

"It's Tamasvini. She shouldn't be here. I can't deal with all that again." Aradhya replied.

"Was she bad to you? She's your under sister." Nandini spoke.

"She is the absolute menace I've seen. From humiliating me in front of her friends when she was eight. And abusing me. Spreading rumours about me and even trying to kill me. Maharani Chaya and Tamasvini have done everything in their hands to make my life hell." Aradhya sniffled.