Silence

Adira chewed on her thumb, peeling away skin and spitting it out of her mouth.

She had to leave the scene of death immediately, seeking recluse underneath a smaller tree. There she sat until God found her about an hour or so after. He was going to scare her but could sense her reaction wouldn't be as satisfying.

"It's finished. None of them looked like your friends," he reached into his pocket and felt for Adira's tiny phone. God had spent a good while staring at her wallpaper, digesting every detail of the men's faces for hours on end since she had left it with him.

Adira turned her head backwards, revealing scared doe like eyes. She noticed God had her phone in his hand, outstretched towards her. She took it and stuffed it into her pocket without a word.

"I know what you're thinking. There's something else out there. Perhaps there is, but I can't sense them. Not yet, at least."

The human rested her forehead on her knees, sighing deeply as she closed her eyes in exhaustion, "I just found them and now they're gone again...I'm farther away from Mitch than I've ever been."

God wondered if the woman was starting to grow delusional. The place she had led them to before was deserted and had been for ages. There was a slight trail but it vanished halfway through their journey. The only way he was led to the massacre was due to the scent of decay traveling with the wind.

"What's going on? I thought you were the god of the forest. How can you not know who's doing this?"

God didn't have an answer. Whoever or whatever was behind the murders was purposefully trying to hide their tracks from him, while also letting him know they were there. For what purpose?

"No use thinking about it. It's best if you go back to your people for now until I get to the bottom of this."

Adira lifted her head, standing up with an objection at the tip of her tongue. God noticed this and cut her off before the words could spill from her mouth.

"Or you can stay with me. You will have to do whatever I say whenever I say." God offered his hand to the woman and she slowly took it, adding in her end of the bargain, "Fine. But we are going to find Kevin and Conrad also, not just whoever's killing people. And also Mitch. Mitch is my top priority."

God could've rolled his eyes but refrained from doing so. He helped the woman up and examined her from head to toe. She was covered in dirt, smelled odd, and lacked proper nutrition.

"There's a lake down there. I suggest you throw yourself in it. I'll get you better clothes and some food."

Adira was insulted. She sneakily smelled her underarms as God turned his back to her, leaving her alone without another word. With nothing else to do, Adira had no other choice but to throw herself in the pools.

The path God had instructed her to take was short and indeed did lead to a somewhat deep body of water. Adira stared out at the cool surface, reminiscing on what had happened yesterday when she tried to take her life. To be back in the same place that nearly ended her existence was anxiety inducing...but a bath was a bath. She would only go hip dip.

Adira slipped off her shirt, gently taking out the necklace in her pocket and laying it aside before tossing her shorts on the floor as well. The water was cold, but she managed to ignore the uncomfortable sensation long enough to sink until her waist was submerged. As she quickly splashed her shivering body and poured water over her head, something lurked in the shadows.

It was God.

He was resting against a tree bark, his arms crossed over his chest as he silently observed the woman. The drops of water rolling from her hair sent small ripples around her, like she was a goddess emerging from the waves.

God was even more impressed to find that her bruises weren't as prominent as before. Even her leg which he bit into was nothing more than a small scar. He was sure she didn't even notice how fast her body was healing. It was a gift from the forest, and in a way a gift from him to her.

Adira quickly peered back to shore to make sure she wasn't being watched. Once she felt secure, she stepped out of the waters and put her old clothes back on, unaware of the monster. God sighed heavily, glancing down at the floor. He shifted uncomfortable, readjusting his jacket before heading out and actually doing what he planned to do.

In the mean time, Adira tried to get together a cozy little camp for herself. She gathered twigs, leaves, and branches. Even a few berries popped up- red, juicy, and bouncy to the touch. She used the end of her shirt as a basket and managed to pick out a few until a spider appeared out of nowhere. That marked the end of her short lived adventure.

By the time Adira got back to her camp, God was already there. On the ground next to a freshly lit fire place lay a pile of what Adira noticed was meat- ripped in pieces and ready for cooking. She mentally took note that God would have the ones at the very bottom.

"That was quick," She managed to crack a small smile, still wary and a little uncomfortable about spending some time with the beast. He didn't say anything- merely stabbed a fresh chunk of meat with a sharp stick and hovered it over the fire. Adira sat opposite of him and did the same. As she seated herself, God tossed her a bag of what she could only assume was clothes.

"Everything here is stolen from a certain family. Enjoy." He sat up, grabbing the barely cooked meat that still dripped with blood and hovered it over his face. Out of nowhere, large pointy teeth and a long tongue appeared, causing Adira to almost drop her stick. As soon as his mouth was exposed it was gone, shielded by the shadows once more. 

"Where are you going?"

"Patrolling," Was all God responded with before facing his back towards her and walking out into the forest.

Things felt off, Adira wondered as her eyes licked up the sight of the flames. She twirled the stick in her fingers, losing interest as she jabbed it into the ground. A side glance at the bag God had given her peaked her interest. She carefully yanked it from the floor and rested it on her lap, rummaging inside. There were different types of clothes and pants, all seemingly belonging to a singular individual. Cozy, yet stylish and chic.

Adira wanted to try on a sweater until one in particular caught her attention. She narrowed her eyes, jaw falling slightly as she slipped out a familiar lilac colored hoodie.

Where had she seen it before..?

"Of course," Adira whispered to herself, remembering the sleepover her and a particular woman were supposed to have. She wore the exact same sweater the night God chased them down. The others back at camp said she just got up and left, but now Adira thought otherwise.

Holding the jacket close to her, the woman got up and looked around for any sign of God. She had to question him and ask what he had done to Devon. If anything happened to her, Adira was sure to never forgive him.