Six

Mr. Jefferson's diner was at full capacity. As expected for a late Friday evening. Once five PM hit, the local residents started swarming inside in loads, leaving Patty and I to venture to the lake and let him handle his business. After all, he was still the owner at the end of the day.

Patty chomped down on another frie after dipping it in the cup of vanilla ice cream she'd taken with her from the diner. Which was melting, if I might add. We'd been sitting out here for an hour now, staring blankly into the distance. I'd tried my best to help her with her assignment but Lake Bellinor didn't seem to have much history to it. Well, except for minor positive things listed in textbooks like the founders, when the town was founded, and other minor facts.

None of which was enough for Patty to use for her project. This was the one time I wouldn't scold her for being too picky. There wasn't much information to pick from anyway.

Fireflies buzzed around us as a cool breeze from the lake struck our skin, and evening colors painted the sky. The fireflies buzzing balanced out the lake's calm waves that brushed up against the edge of the ground. An atmosphere soothing enough to hypnotize me. But I knew better than to fall for the lake's tricks again. Especially now that I was awake.

The more I stared out there, the more I heard something calling out to me. Whispers. They merged with the wind every time I neared the lake's edge. Like a siren's song pulling me in. Except I wasn't being lured to my death by a beautiful creature. At least, to my knowledge. I guess there wasn't much of a difference between a siren and the woman in my nightmares.

Even then, I didn't dare to step into the lake. Who knew what was down there? Trash. Marine life. Corpses. It was a fifty-fifty chance I was willing to bet on. After Emerald Lynn's body was found, it wasn't a long shot either. I shifted at the uncomfortable thought.

"By the way, so, you were right about the sulfur powder!" Patty cheered. "Now what are you going to do? Christian doesn't want you getting too close to the case." I had told her about the discussion I had with Christian two nights ago. As inconvenient as the lack of answers we had so far were, it was good to know I wasn't the only one questioning the sulfur powder.

"That's why I'm not going to. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm at least going to try and follow his orders. I want to know more about this lake house. It's been vacant for years then all of a sudden, three dead bodies show up? That doesn't sound right," I huffed.

"So, I'm guessing you're going to drag Mrs. Carol and Mr. Jefferson into this now?" Patty laid her notebook and pencil down, stretching her legs ahead of her, and turning her head to me.

"Mhm-hmm. I think one of them might be able to help. After all, they've lived here longer than both of us combined. Maybe I'll try visiting him again tomorrow or something," I said.

"Yeah, that's true. Oh! And if they don't know anything about the house, then maybe I could ask my dad about it. Hopefully, he's good for something," she murmured under her breath.

"Oh, right. I forgot he's been here for a while too." I stole one of her fries.

I was starting to see that man's face plastered around town a lot more now. Ever since the beginning of April rolled in, his campaign fliers were printed everywhere around Lake Bellinor. Now though, it was worse. With mayoral elections closing in at the start of November, politicians were growing desperate. Not that there was much of a competition to begin with.

Patty's father had some of the best people on his team backing him up. Compared to the Lane family's name, any other person running for mayor barely stood a chance. Poor bastards. I almost felt bad for all of them.