1.15

[1.15]

The next days were the same: a blur.

Thena's presence in the militia couldn't be neglected. She could spend every minute of her day by their side, helping them with the dead that got too close to the ranch or with other things that needed mending. But then again, she technically was the militia, even though she never admitted it to herself.

She couldn't bare look at Troy in the eyes. Why? She didn't know, it never happened before. It wasn't the first time she had killed a father and had to take care of the son. But this time, she just couldn't. So, she made new friends, mostly a girl named Ava whose company she adored. The two became friends in the short time, doing all their tasks together. The company was good, for Ava and Thena. It was different.

They were coming back from a hunting party (the one where you hunt those who were already dead) when they saw the trail of cars.

Thena was sitting in the small vehicle, driving behind Troy and Nick with Ava by her side. Both girls were covered in blood that dripped off their faces and necks into their laps. Thena's hands were also covered in the dark crimson substance, but she didn't seem to mind. Her black sleeveless top was drenched in sweat that dripped down her stomach and the cap that Ava lent her was the only thing that kept her from getting a heat stroke.

"You got blood on your watch," said Ava as she stared at Thena's profile. The Grimes girl's eyes dropped on her left wrist for a second before she looked back at the road. Her arms up to her elbows were covered in blood that she didn't wipe off, and her beloved watch was drenched in it.

"It's not the first time," she said with a shrug, making Ava laugh.

Before Thena would say anything, Troy's vehicle stopped, making her press the break. Before she could shout, her eyes switched to her left, and there she saw the trail of cars. They sped down the country roads until they got to the ranch, successfully arriving before the others.

Thena stopped the engine of her vehicle, sending a small smile to Ava as she walked to Nick. She saw the people of the ranch already crowded at the gate and waited for something to happen. Walker got out of the first car and Jake walked forward. The two men shook hands.

And then, the trail of cars and RVs entered Broke Jaw ranch property, and Thena could do nothing about it.

~

The tension was thick. Thena was walking besides Alicia, trying hard to ignore Ofelia's presence behind her. Ava, who was behind Thena too, walked closer to her and pressed their shoulders together when she saw her friend's tense body.

Fortunately for her, Thena wasn't the only one that had a problem with Ofelia's presence.

"No, not her."