Chapter 20

Brandon

To say Macie was unhappy when I told her was a drastic understatement. Her heart broke. And I didn't know how to help her.

So instead, I've tried to fill Lyra's role. Apparently I'm not doing a very good job.

"No Daddy! That's not right!" Macie exclaimed. "I quit!"

Macie stormed up to her room and I was left with our cake attempt to clean up after.

It's been a rough week. I've had three babysitters try and take over Lyra's job, but Macie gets rid of all of them. Like, she makes them want to quit. She doesn't want someone that's not Lyra, but I don't have another option.

She won't start school until the fall and I can't just take a leave from work for that long. So Macie's been coming to the office with me or staying with Mrs. Cook who has seen a generous pay increase.

My daughter is absolutely miserable and I can't fix it.

Hailey is still staying at Lyra's. She came and apologized and we made up, but she's still staying with Lyra. Some sort of girl code thing or something. I didn't really understand when Hailey explained it.

I wanted Hailey to watch Macie, but she wouldn't. Claire has been around the penthouse more and Hailey refuses to be anywhere near her.

Hailey never really liked Claire, but this was pure hatred.

Girls are complicated and I don't know what's going on or how to fix it. I'm just confused.

A call from Zach pulled me out of my thoughts. "Hey man," I said.

"Hey. How soon can you get over here?" Zach was all business.

"Half hour. Why?"

"Just come. And bring Claire."

Zach hung up the phone leaving me utterly confused. Claire happened to be over here so I got her and we went over to Zach's PI company.

I noticed Claire was fidgety in the car, but I didn't say anything.

"Why did Zach want me to come?" She asked.

"I don't know."

Claire stayed silent after that, choosing to fiddle with her ring. Was she...nervous?

Now I was even more confused. Pulling up out front of Zach's building, I tossed my keys to the valet and went inside with Claire following behind me.

"I'm here to see Zach," I told the receptionist and she sent me right through. She knew who I was, everyone knew who I was, and she knew not to mess with me.

I'd been to Zach's office hundreds of times so I easily navigated the hall and found his door.

"Come in," he said before I even knocked. It brought a smile to my face. Zach was good like that. I don't know if it was hidden cameras or what, but Zach always knew when I was there.

I went in and sat in front of Zach's desk with Claire sitting next to me. Zach studied her with contemplative eyes before turning to me.

"I believe I've found who vandalized Lyra Mitchell's property," he said.

"Who?"

Zach turned his attention to Claire. "I believe you know her. She's around 5'8, slim figure."

Claire visibly gulped. What's going on?

"Now that isn't enough to go off of, but I had my suspicions so i sent the security camera images off to be cleaned up a little. They further confirmed my suspicions, but still not enough evidence."

Zach's feet were kicked up on his desk and he was tossing a rubber band ball in his hand. He looked like a detective from a bad mystery movie or something. It would've been funny if I wasn't so on edge. Just get to the point Zach.

"So, last time I saw this person, at a charity event, I tapped their phone. It was easy enough. Would you like to hear what I picked up?"

Claire's face drained of all color as Zach pressed play on his computer.

"We're done. She's gone."

It was Claire. I looked at her, but she refused to meet my gaze.

"So I shouldn't go through with the plan then?"

This time it was a man's voice.

"No numbskull. I got rid of her myself, there's no need to take it any further."

"Ok."

"I'll send the rest of your money soon. Anyone finds out about this and you're dead."

That was the end of the recording.

"It was you," I said, in shock. "It was you!"

5'8", slim figure. Claire matched that description. And that was definitely her voice. Come to think of it...

I pulled out my phone and pulled up a picture of the note left in Lyra's apartment.

"Give me your purse," I said to Claire. She resisted so I banged my hands on the desk. "Give it!"

Claire handed over her purse and I dumped it's contents out. There had to be something.

Phone, wallet, lipstick, check! A filled out check.

I put the check next to the picture. The handwriting matched. I knew it looked familiar. I'm such an idiot.

"Why the hell would you do that Claire?" I shouted, standing up.

She refused to answer so I grabbed her arm and pulled her up, forcing her to look at me. "Why Claire?"

She grabbed my tie in a way meant to be seductive. "She was going to steal you from me."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"I saw the way you looked at her!" Claire shouted, prying herself from my arms. "And the little brat liked her for some reason so I knew it was only a matter of time."

"What did you just say?" I asked, my voice dangerously low. "Because it sounded a lot like you calling my daughter a brat."

Claire's face went white as a ghost as she realized her mistake. Nothing angered me more than someone disrespecting my family.

"Why are you siding with her?" Claire suddenly shouted.

"Because I-"

Because I'm an idiot. Because I didn't see what was right in front of me.

"Zach. Can you handle her?" I asked.

My best friend nodded and I left. I had more important things to worry about than Claire. She'd get what she deserved, that I was sure of. But I might have just ruined everything and I need to fix it before it's too late.

I called Hailey over the Bluetooth speaker in my car. "You were right. I am an idiot."

"I'm glad you've finally figured it out," Hailey said cheerfully. "Now what does that have to do with me."

"I need your help."