Chapter 1

Paige POV:

It was the start of the summer workouts for this season and I couldn't be more excited for this year. I'm now a sophomore, and I've learned a lot from last year. I'm still devastated we lost in the Final Four, but this year is going to be different, I can feel it.

I walk into the practice facility basketball court where we have our first "practice" I guess you could call it. It's more like the coaches talk about our goals for this season and we all introduce ourselves to the freshmen and show them around.

As soon as I walk through the doors I'm met with the familiar faces of my second family. This team has been through so much with each other and we're all super close because of it. The coaches are like our parents and my teammates aren't just my friends, they're my sisters too.

"Paigeeee!" Nika says excitedly running over to me and embracing me in a hug

"Hi" I say chuckling hugging her back. After a few seconds we pull away and make our way back to everyone else right as the coaches walk in.

"Alright we're gonna get started everybody" Geno says as we all form a circle to make a big group huddle

"Returning players welcome back, freshmen and transfer players welcome. We have four freshmen joining us this season-" Geno says which makes me break my eyes from him and look over at Azzi, we've been best friends for a little over 4 years at this point and we are finally playing on the same team again, she gives me a small smile before focusing back on coach. "-We've also got 2 transfer students both from Ohio State. One's a sophmore and one's a senior. So I want you all to go around the circle, say your name and what grade you're in, Christyn you start"

"Hi, I'm Christyn Williams and I'm a senior here at Uconn" Christyn starts

"Hi, I'm Olivia Nelson-Ododa and I'm a senior" Liv says next

"I'm Evina Westbrook and I'm a senior"

"I'm Aubrey Griffin and I'm a junior"

"I'm Aaliyah Edwards and I'm a sophmore"

"I'm Nika Muhl and I'm a sophmore"

"I'm Paige Bueckers and I'm a sophmore" I say

"I'm Saylor and I'm a freshmen but I played a few games last year"

"I'm Amari Deberry and I'm a freshmen"

"I'm Caroline Ducharme and I'm a freshmen"

"I'm Azzi Fudd and I'm a freshmen"

"I'm Dorka Juhasz and I'm a fifth year from Ohio State"

I look next to Dorka and look at the last girl that has to introduce herself and I'm blown away. She's gorgeous. She has brown wavy hair, brown eyes, a backwards black hat on and a smile that I swear could cause world peace.

"I'm Sky and I'm a sophmore from Ohio State"

Sky. I like that name.

"What you don't have a last name?" Geno says looking at Skye

"I do but-"

"Tell them" he interrupts

"I'm Sky Auriemma" she says nervously as everyone's mouths open in shock and I look at her

"Wait Auriemma, like-" I start

"Yea, coach is my dad" Sky says making eye contact with me. Leaving us all still in shock.

"Now I know what you guys are probably thinking, because she's my daughter she will play over you. That's not true. I'm treating her the same way I treat all of you. In this facility and in games she's just another student I'm coaching. Not my daughter. So you don't have to worry that she will take your spot. The only way she will take your spot is if she's simply better than you" Geno explains.

"I don't have a problem with it. Welcome to the team Sky" I say with a smile trying to ease her clearly visible nerves

"Thanks" she says with a small smile

It's the next day and we are having our first real practice. I can tell everyone is still a little uneasy about Sky but they are becoming comfortable with her.

She's currently talking to Dorka during our water break. I'm glad she has Dorka as a friend since they transferred from the same school which honestly now that I think about it, I'm kinda curious as to why they both left.

My curiosity took over the best in me so I started walking over to them.

"I got a question for you guys" I say once I'm standing in front of them

"Ok. What's up?" Sky says

"Why'd you both leave Ohio State to come here?"

"I left because I graduated there and got into the grad school here" Dorka explains

"Oh nice. Congratulations" I tell her about graduating. "What about you?" I say turning to look at Sky

"That is a question for another time" Sky answers which makes me confused. Why wouldn't she want to answer? She must've saw confusion written on my face because she adds "it's complicated" before walking away and back onto the court.

"She'll tell you. Give her time. It's just personal that's all" Dorka tells me before she leaves and heads back to the court too.

Personal? I hope nothing bad happened to her there. She doesn't deserve that. I haven't known her for more than a day but she deserves the world and nothing less. Anyone that treats her badly will get what they deserve.

I shake my head out of my thoughts and turn around to head back to the court too. I see Sky smiling and laughing with Azzi, Evina and Dorka. I'm glad they don't feel intimidated by her.

"Alright Paige, imagine there's 10 seconds left in the game. We're losing by 2. You're being double teamed. Who are you passing the ball to, to win us the game?" Geno asks me passing me the ball.

I look at how the defense is guarding everyone and say "Azzi"

"Explain" Geno says

"If I pass Liv under the net she would get fouled, if I pass it to Christyn, Evina, or Sky they would all get double teamed immediately. But if I fake a pass to one of them and pass it to Azzi she will be wide open, giving her time to shoot" I explain

"Why not pass to liv though if she will get fouled?" Geno questions

"Because even if Liv makes both free throws, that's just tying the game and giving the other team the ball back with the chance to win. Which we can't risk. Plus you said 'who would I pass to, to win us the game' and Azzi making the 3 would win us the game not tie it"

"What if she misses"

"Then that's the sport of basketball. You can't make them all. But I have high hopes she does make it since the basket is like a magnet to her whenever she shoots"

"Very good. That was what I was looking for. Of course we want to win every game. But knowing that if we lose because of a missed shot by a teammate that it's okay is what I want all of you to know. We are all human. We aren't perfect and we can't make every shot. So don't beat yourselves up if you're in that situation"