────── 01.

C H A P T E R  I

C H A P T E R  I .
ᵃ ᵇᵃˡˡᵃᵈ ⁱⁿ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉˢ

SNOWFLAKES GATHERED ON THE TIP OF YOUR NOSE LIKE BUTTERFLIES, the frosted points melting as soon as they came in contact with your warm skin. A shuddering sigh escaped your lips, sending plumes of condensed ivory in the air as you rubbed your bare hands together, generating fleeting flickers of heat that were barely enough to keep your fingers from going numb.

You had drastically miscalculated the weather today. Perhaps you had become too liable to your emotions' whims; you'd been hoping for some sunshine lately, to brighten up the dull grey sky and to give the kids something to look forward to. You wondered if those scraps of yearning had compelled you to wear a lighter outfit today, shedding the heavy, fur-lined coat that often hugged your bodice.

You were someone who wanted many things. New clothing, to avoid your monthly mending session that you always dreaded. New books and pencils, to replace the battered and bruised ones that currently reside in their respective shelves and drawers. More money, to help relieve some of the constant rationing and saving that you had to do. 

But there was nothing you wanted more than to give your students a better life.

You were a teacher, after all. The only one that you could find in your area -- Morepesok was a fishing village, so none needed to be educated in literature more than they had to be trained in combat and fishery. Yet you believed in diplomacy and knowledge, so after a long debate with your parents and the village leaders, you were able to finally establish what you had been dreaming of for so long. 

A long, wooden door obstructed your vision from the pure white expanse, marking the end of your short journey. Carefully, you extracted your hands from the warm folds of wool and pressed them against the worn surface, hearing the door groan under your weight.

You stepped into the dimly lit room, feeling a surge of warmth rush through your body the moment you entered. A satisfied sigh escaped your chapped lips as the pleasant temperature chased off the freezing outside air, replacing the nippy feeling with a homely embrace. Your eyes quickly catch onto blistering flames burning in the pot belly furnace in the corner -- someone had lit the fire long before you entered. 

You were unable to stifle the amused laugh that bubbled up in your throat as your gaze quickly landed on a tuft of orange hair, just as bright as the inferno that crackled in the iron stove. You would humor him, you mused, as you pretended to seek out the culprit with exaggerated, slow motions, nearing closer and closer to his hiding place before hooking the boy by his arms and lifting him up.

"Teucer!" You exclaimed, "Why are you here so early? Class doesn't begin until much later." 

Teucer looked sheepish as he wriggled in your grasp, his sparkling blue eyes avoiding your questioning gaze. "Well...I wanted to surprise you! Because...because you're a really good teacher, and it must be really cold in the building when you arrive, so..."