After Dark

Deidara sat at the edge of his bed. He fidgeted with his fingers, staring intently at each of his nails. He grabbed a puzzle cube and began to quickly solve it instead.

Naruto always came to hang out with him every morning. Surely, he would so up soon as he always had. Deidara threw the cube back onto his bed once again. He quickly stood up, ignoring the slight nausea and balled his hands into fists as he left the. room.

A nagging thought kept coming in Deidara's mind. What if Naruto wasn't okay? As he entered the living room, he noticed that most of the Akatsuki was already there. Meetings were uncommon, which made Deidara's growing nervousness increase. He slid onto one of the couches and listened to what was being discussed.

"Maybe he sold us out?" Konan murmured. Deidara searched around to see who was missing. If Pain had left, than there would surely be a bit more commotion than there was. The last three people were...Naruto, Tobi, and Zetsu.

"Who- are we talking about right now?" Deidara questioned. "Don't interrupt," Konan demanded. "Naruto went to the Hokage meeting as planned, but he ended up being captured in Konoha. Though..Tobi and Zetsu were supposed to accompany him. We don't have any idea where they went."

He froze. What would Konoha end up doing to Naruto? "We're going to save him right.." Deidara presented shakily.

"Of course we are, question is how," Kisame began. "Naruto explicitly said that me wanted to destroy the village himself, and I doubt that he would ever forgive us if we did."

The village had to be on high alert ever since the meeting, or at least it would seem that way. the council of Konoha tended to get..arrogant after victories. It was something Naruto talked to me about. The "extra" security was more like an act to try and deter other villages from taking advantage of them. The inside of the village..would not be as secure.

"So, we need a spy then?" Deidara proposed. "Exactly." Konan responded. "And that spy is going to be you."

"..me?" Deidara asked.

"Yes," she clarified. "I imagine that Naruto has talked to you about Konoha before, am I correct?"

"uh, yeah." Deidara replied.

"And you do want to save him."

Deidara nodded as Konan stood up. That settles our discussion then. Prepare. You will be leaving in two hours.

_________

"Tell me everything that made you leave the village."

Naruto stared at Sasuke refusing to blink for a few moments. "Are you kidding me?" he asked. He seemed close to offended. Sasuke remained in silence until Naruto stood up from the firm bed and attempted to locate Sasuke based on his voice. "Everything you think is true, probably happened." Naruto mumbled.

"So..someone put your futon outside Konoha borders..?" Sasuke catiously asked.

"There weren't that many wrong answers, I'm surprised." Naruto scoffed. "Everything I needed to say was in that letter. I don't even know how you can look at yourself as if you had no idea why I left."

Sasuke lowered his head. "I should have helped you.."

"I agree," Naruto sighed. "You've become so pitiful that even when presented with your own clan's eyes, you can do nothing but cower away."

Sasuke felt worthless. After all, a good clan member would have avenged his clan the moment he saw it. Even after Itachi's words, Sasuke went back to R.O.O.T. As always.

"Leave, Sasuke." Naruto demanded. Naruto heard no footsteps. "LEAVE!" he shouted.

"Naruto, they're going to take your tailed beast," Sasuke mumbled.

"And what should I do about that? Want me to break out of here using your bones?!" Naruto snarled.

Sasuke exited the cell afterwards, eyes cast down upon the stone ground.

"Should I even be in Konoha?" Sasuke began to ponder.

_________

Deidara's disguise was immaculate. His hair was black and silver highlights, but he still looked in his 20's maximum. His hair fell down to his shoulders and was tied into a loose ponytail. Wavy bangs covered his eyes over his light golden glasses. His eyes were pale and a navy blue tattoo ran down the left side of his neck. And according to the Leaf village, his name was now Yu Nanami. He was supposed to be a Chunin who would become Jonin with a few more days of practice.

He grudgingly wiped off his nail polish, and dawned the chunin uniform. "My name is Yu Nanami, I've come back from an escort mission and would like to ask some jonin my age for some guidance.." Deidara rehearsed in front of the mirror.

Spy missions were probably one of his favorites. after all you could become an entirely different person in mere moments. Deidara stepped into the living room, quickly alerting Konan of his departure. She softly wished him luck as he took long stride out into the thin snow and shining sun.

-Time Skip-

Konoha was nowhere near the Akatsuki headquarters and the distance seemed almost endless. He was relieved to see how the trees had grown in height and stability; a sign that the Leaf Village was close. Deidara began to see the massive gate surrounding the village, and the entrance to the village from there.

He adjusted his headband and hopped onto the sanded path. The noise caught the village guard's attention and they turned to look at him.

"Hi there, I'm D-Yu Nanami..! Not 'Dyu'. Yu Nanami." Deidara corrected. "Where are you coming from?" One of the asked casually.

"Just finished an escort mission..uh my squad's dead soooo," Deidara explained, mentally cursing at himself for the lackluster excuse.

The guard waved towards the gate and Deidara stood astounded for a few moments. Jinan's information was spot on. When he'd first arrived, he was worried that he would have to try some low level genjutsu to even have a chance at entering.

Thank goodness it was all show.

Deidara bowed his head and happily walked into the village. He could already hear the sounds of bustling civilians in the town square. He had memorized photos of the people he was looking for, and figured that they would have gone to a specific ramen shop.

There was no way he would forget Sasuke. He'd nearly taken Deidara's life! Deidara cackled softly knowing that there was no way he was leaving without making him regret it. At a first glance, the people were quite casual and optimistic. The stands were made of different types of woods and it smelled incredibly pure.

He began to make his way towards the ramen shop. According to Naruto, this place had been a living hell. Had Deidara missed something? His questions were answered when he saw a black haired kid skid across the path. Only his spiked hair was in view from his perspective, but he could hear some pained noises.

He sped up his steps until he saw the other perpetrators. They didn't seems much older than the kid, but there were a lot of them. But the most awful thing was that nobody else in the plaza shared his rage. It was as if it weren't happening.

Their commotion got louder as a blue haired boy punched up again. "Hey, hey, hey, quit it!" Deidara demanded forcing the older one's fist away.

"What's your problem?! I'm from the Hyuga clan, I'll have you know!" He snarled. Deidara scoffed, a small child was trying to threaten him. Though as soon as he saw the chakra flare around his eyes and palm, he immediately moved backwards.

The small black haired boy had run away already, leaving him and the others on their own. "Whateeever," Deidara sighed, tapping the kid away with the tip of his sandal. He groaned and decided to leave while muttering under his breath.

Deidara had a bit of a new view one what Naruto was talking about, especially because the one's he was looking for were sitting in a ramen shop right behind him, act oblivious of the clear bullying. Maybe it was time to carry out a bit of Naruto's vengeance for him.