64. Dhruv

"So....Anish and Sandra are getting a divorce?"

I loosened my tie and took off my shoes outside only to be greeted by Rani opening the front door. I wondered why she didn't go to work today, but said nothing. I squeezed past her and headed toward the kitchen to wash my hands.

"I saw the ad on your computer. It's been a while since you've even thought about interviewing for a restaurant." I bit my tongue. "I can't believe you were an animal assistant, by the way."

What was she on about? I thought to myself. I'd been doing that for a few months, at best, now.

"No wonder you bought that dog."

"That dog has a name," I drawled.

"Cookie. Yeah, I know, I didn't just wake up and forget everything."

It sounded a heck of a lot like she had.

Not bothering to respond, I got some paper towels to dry my hands and filled a glass with tap water. I placed it to my lips when it was snatched from my hand, water sloshing over the top and to the floor.

I pursed my lips at the person responsible. Rani stood there with her hip jutted out, slamming the glass onto the kitchen table. "Okay, you're not leaving here until you tell me why the hell you're acting so weird with me. I thought you—" She cleared her throat. "I thought things were going well with us."

This had to be a joke, I thought, narrowing my eyes at her. "You can't be serious," I ended up saying in a monotone voice. "If anyone's been acting weird, it's you. You're acting like the other night never happened."

"The other night?"

"Or did you forget that too?"

Rani surveyed me. "I'm only asking for an explanation. Since when are you so rude?"

The dull anger that I had kept tamed bubbled through my veins. "You expect me to be calm when you were spouting magical body-swapping bullshit the day before? And then act like you're doing me a favour by talking to me and not bothering to explain what the fuck that was about?"

Her eyes widened. "That..." she swallowed, thickly. "That was just me being silly! I didn't mean anything I said. I want to start over, Dhruv. That's why I'm talking to you."

"That's what I thought we were doing this entire time," I muttered, before shaking my head. "I've given this enough chances. I can't be the only one trying."

"What do you mean?"

"I want you to tell me what you want," I said, the words rising in tone as my anger did. "I thought things were over between us before but I held onto that silly hope that you'd come around again. That we could fix things if we tried. But you were only messing around with me." A laugh slipped through my lips but it sounded hollow and dry, like the void in my chest. "I'd learnt more about you this time around than I have in two years. You showed me a side that I never knew you even had and I'd started to fall in love with you all over again. Then you went and pulled that stunt. What hurts more is that it wasn't even a good excuse to get rid of me. Am I worth that little to you?"

"Wait...in love?" she whispered like it was a forbidden word. Was it that hard to believe?

"Yes, in love. If you don't feel the same, if all of this was a game to you then be my guest and sign those divorce papers and I'll be on my way."

Rani suddenly grasped the front of my shirt in her hands, pressing herself against me. The tip of her nose brushed against mine. "You're supposed to be in love with me."

What? I thought. Did she not hear me?

"I am," I said, puzzled.

"I was too late," she whispered with a chuckle that sounded bitter even to me. "I deserve it. I had the best thing right in front of me and I let you slip."

"Rani," I began. What was she saying? "You—"

She pushed herself away from me, and straightened her blazer. "Mouna was right. The woman you spent this entire time with was her, not me."