Chapter 21. The End Or Beginning

The thrift shop was home to Silas after being kicked from Selena and Jacobs home. The shop owner liked Silas and had an understanding the man was going through a difficult time so offered him his private office to stay in. The last three days since being away, no contact with Selena or Jacob had left him in his thoughts.

More than he would've liked.

Everything started flashing in his eyes, how the two met and it was lust at first. How it transformed into something they never thought it would have turned out to be through the tragedies, hardships, and life they had gone through in such a short time.

Yet in that short time, watching Selena's resilience and strength with helping out those in her life made his heart grow. He loved her. There was a point where he stopped viewing her as his best friend's mother and started viewing her as her own person separate from that.

Someone loving, beautiful, intelligent, and someone who's had a hard beginning but never let that determine the rest of her life. The 10 year age gap didn't matter, the things of her past didn't matter, nothing mattered but he loves her. So much.

He had messaged Jacob at the end of the night they had a falling out, he hadn't heard any word from him. Not that he could blame him. He had hidden the truth from him sneaking around with her. He felt awful but he couldn't deny his feeling towards her. He just needed him to know that.

And if Jacob wanted him to no longer be his friend, to no longer be around them. He would have to oblige. His friendship to him meant so much and he didn't want to hurt Selena. But it was all up to Jacob.

When Silas first arrived at the University, he only knew one person. Jayde. She was a longtime family friend but even then, was a different major of study so rarely saw Silas unless a planned meeting. However, when they had met for some coffee one day when she had introduced him to Jacob.

Jacob was quiet when they first met. A little standoffish if you ask him but respectful none the less. Silas hadn't realized though although studying a different major they both shared two courses together. This inevitably drew them closer creating a lasting friendship and bond. Although being four years younger than Silas, Jacob was extremely mature for his age and highly intelligent.

They bonded over many things outside of school. Things they had enjoyed, their Latin backgrounds, family, and their love of food. But what really deepened the friendship was when Silas had confessed his family upbringing and difficulties of divorce. Jacob sympathized with him and understood difficulty with family, he however didn't tell him about his own. Feeling it was more his mother's story than anything.

They became best friends, telling each other everything and confiding in one another. But who knows if any of that relationship would be resolved after what he had done.

A buzzing sound caused him to sit up from the couch/ bed to grab his phone. The phone lit with a message from Jacob, a message straight to the point.

Jacob: We need to talk. Blakey Street Diner, 4pm.

Silas could feel the nervousness yet relief blooming in his chest. He had a lot he wanted to say to him that he couldn't get out in text. A lot they would have to come to terms with too, but he was glad. Before all of this he was his best friend and although he didn't deserve it, he didn't want to lose that.

Silas: okay, I'll be there.

***

Silas had shown up half an hour early, drumming his fingers against the table. The waitress had come by several times checking on the man, offering him anything but he knew he couldn't stomach it at the moment. He would wait for Jacob and go from there, for now water would be his sustenance.