14:00 | the truth

"AND THAT'S it

"AND THAT'S it. That's the whole truth, so help me God."

My cousin Kaycee stays motionless on the couch beside me. She looks like a zombie, lips shaped like an O, eyes on the wall, distant. But I can't blame her for reacting this way.

After Devyn left, I took a verbal (and sometimes physical) beating about how careless I was to invite some thot—her word, not mine—into my hiding spot all because I can't keep it in my pants. I mean, she was really dogging Devyn and I had to put an end to it, so I had no choice.

I had to tell Kaycee the truth.

"So..." My cousin begins, softly. "The girl who was just here can actually see Penelope Adams?"

"Yep. Her name is Devyn."

"And Penelope Adams knows you didn't kill her, so she possessed a detective to get you out of jail before they transferred you to a max prison?"

"Uh huh."

"And...you guys attended Penelope's vigil last night and ran into, who she thought was the killer, but it ended up not being the killer, so then she possessed that thot—I mean, Devyn?"

I sigh. "You're following right."

"Which made her too tired to drive home so you brought her back here?"

"Yeah."

"And that's why she spent the night. Not because you were having sex—which would make a helluva lot more sense than whatever the fuck this all is—" Kaycee stops herself, shutting her eyes with frustration. "Ace, do you understand how fucking crazy this all sounds?"

I nod. "I've been living in the crazy for two days, so yeah."

Kaycee turns and looks at me. Really looks at me. "The saddest part is that you actually believe this bitch."

"She's telling the truth. I've seen her interact with Penelope multiple times. You can't fake a ruse this good."

"Ace, lemme tell you something, alright? You are one of the cutest little dudes on ASU's campus. I imagine you make girls act and say all kinds of crazy ways just to get you to smile their way. Look at what Abby's doing to you without batting an eye. This Devyn girl is doing the same crazy shit, but worse."

"Worse?" I narrow my eyes.

"Yes, she's leading you on with hope and it's really messed up." Kaycee stands from the couch. "You need to give me her number so I can call and bribe her out of your life. We can't have her going to the cops prematurely. She's going to put your ass back in jail."

I stand, pulling her arm back. "Nah, Kaycee, listen to me. She helped me get the fuck outta jail. She doesn't want to put me back in it. Are you even listening to me?"

"No you listen to me, cuz. You. Are. Being. Deceived. She is working her pretty little black girl magic on you and I won't stand for it. Give me her number. I've gotta diffuse this situation."

"No." I shake my head. "You promised you would be open minded but you've done nothing but judge her. It's people like you that have made it so Devyn doesn't want to ever tell anyone about her ability."

Kaycee rolls her eyes. "Give me a fucking break."

"Fine, don't believe me. It's whatever." I turn around, throwing my hands up.

"I know you don't see it now, but I'm only trying to help. Women are sneaky bitches and I should know. You know how many ex-girlfriends have trifled with my own heart." Kaycee releases a breath and I turn back around.

"Yeah, I remember." I pause. "And many girls be like that, Kaycee, but Devyn isn't one of them. I promise. I need you to trust me."

She stares at me, her mind working things out. "I don't trust her, but I suppose I can trust you. At least for now. In the meantime, please be careful, Ace. Make sure she ain't playing you."

"She's not," I say firmly. "You just don't know her like I do yet."

"Alright." Kaycee nods. "Look, I came here this morning to tell you that Ben Crump's office responded back to me."

The muscles in my shoulders tense. "They did?"

"They said they'll represent you."

I breathe out relief. "That's great!"

"But they also said it'll look much better if you stop running from the law."

"Oh."

"That's what I said."

"Do you think I should turn myself back in then?"

Kaycee hugs her shoulders, shuddering. "I think we're going to get to a point where you'll have no choice. Ace, I think we need their help and there's no other law firm I trust more."

I breathe out. "Yeah."

Police sirens go off in the distance, making us both freeze. When they get even closer, my cousin yells at me to hide, but I'm so caught up in my own terror, I can't move.

I go back to reliving that night. A rush of police officers knocking me to the ground. Beating me. Yelling at me to be quiet and stay still. Which makes absolutely no sense while you're being beaten.

Police voices shout across the courtyard outside. They're by my Uncle's apartment, just a few doors away. The game clock in my head returns at full force—its countdown picking up speed.

TICK, TICK, TICK

TICK, TICK, TICK

I clutch my chest, unable to breath well enough. Kaycee stands next to me and mouths, "It's okay. I'm here." She rubs my back and takes my hand.

Uncle's voice gets really loud and angry with the officers. My mind instantly says a prayer for him. Please, God. Don't let them hurt my uncle.

Then the voices stop.

I immediately think the worst.

Kaycee whispers, "I think they're searching Dad's apartment right now."

My cousin and I look at each other, our panic intensifying. We both have the same question tattooed in our eyes. How long do we got until they're breaking down the vacant apartments?

How long until they find me?