The Biggest Day

Emmi, Lucy, and I posed for pictures on the front lawn of Lucy's giant house. Her mom was taking pictures of us in our cap and gowns. It was the perfect, sunny June day, but it really didn't matter since we'd be at the amphitheater downtown. There were six hundred kids in our graduating class. We needed a stadium to fit all of our families.

Once we were done taking pictures in the nice dresses we had on, we put on our cap and gowns, which were dark blue with a white trim around the neck, since our school colors were navy blue and white.

I struggled to get all the bulges out of my gown when I put Sapphire's carrier over myself. I got special permission from Principal Peterman to walk across the stage with her. When we got back outside, my dad gave her to me in her super adorable outfit. I found a special baby-sized cap and gown outfit for her on Etsy. It was light pink.

I put her in the carrier and took pictures of her with my friends. We did all kinds of fun and nice poses, but my favorite was when we showed off our caps. My design was simple, since I was an overwhelmed mom. I wrote in pink glitter, "Proud Mom." On Sapphire's cap, I wrote in navy blue glitter, "Proud OF My Mom!"

At six months old, Sapphire was a babbling, bubbly baby. She still had my brown hair and blue eyes. She had those facial features of Elliot, and Dr. Choi, the pediatrician I brought her to, said that if her vision didn't improve, she'd be wearing glasses like Elliot, too.

I did some digging and saw that Elliot did actually graduate from Edgewood. I'm glad the kids there didn't kill him and that he actually did something for once. I knew that would probably be it for the rest of his life, since he said many times he didn't want to go to college and just get money from being a Twitch streamer, which I'm sure was going great. I bet he was consistent with his streaming, made good content, and had lots of followers who were paying him. Just kidding.

"Just a few more, then we can go!" said Lucy's mom.

We took our pictures, then piled into our designated cars. As we drove, my dad was trying not to let me see him cry.

"Papa, you're embarrassing me," I said.

"I'm sorry, I just can't believe my little baby is going to graduate high school! You're so grown up, and now you have a baby of your own, and she's growing up!" he said.

"Ah! Ah ah!" Sapphire said from the back seat.

"She knows you're talking about her," I said, giggling.

We pulled into the parking spot at the amphitheater and walked in. I kept Sapphire with me in her carrier, but also had her diaper bag. Hopefully all she'd need is a bottle, not a diaper change. I said goodbye to my friends and went backstage, so I'd be able to sit until it was my turn to be called and not have to climb the stairs slowly while everyone else waited for me.

When I got backstage, I found a few familiar faces. It was Ms. Cortez and Tessa. She was in her wheelchair, dressed in her cap and gown.

"Hey, there's Zuri!" said Ms. Cortez. "Tess, look who it is!"

Tessa, with her head leaning back on its headrest, looked at me and smiled. But I watched her eyes do a double take when she saw Sapphire. She giggled.

"You two look great!" said Ms. Cortez. "Look at that baby! She's so adorable. She seems like she's gotten bigger since you brought her to the luau a few weeks ago."

"I think she has. She's going through a growth spurt," I said, sitting down next to Ms. Cortez in a folding chair. "How are you doing? I know you've been with Tessa since she was in elementary school."

"Yeah, I'll miss her, for sure. But I'm glad her family is going to take good care of her. I've done everything I could for her while she's in school. Next year I'm going back to the elementary school to start over with a kindergartener. I'm so used to being with a teenager that I don't even know what I'd do with a five-year-old!"

The ceremony started and I watched from offstage, trying to see if I could find my dad in that huge crowd of people. I couldn't. I saw everyone else go across the stage and made sure to cheer extra loud for Lucy, since she was ahead of me.

After the G last names were the H last names, so Ms. Cortez stood up and brought Tessa over to the side of the stage.

"Well Zuri, if I don't see you, good luck. I know you'll do great things!" she said.

"Thanks. You too." I looked at Tessa. "Bye Tessa. I had a lot of fun with you in Best Buddies!"

"Theresa Higgins," said Mr. Connor, the Vice Principal who was at the microphone.

Ms. Cortez walked with Tessa across the stage and took the diploma for her from Principal Peterman. She walked to the other side of the stage and exited there. I waited until we finally got to the L last names. I could see Emmi getting lined up.

"Zuri...Le Fleur," said Mr. Connor.

"Here we go, Saph," I said to her.

As I walked across that stage, Sapphire was kicking her legs and babbling. I smiled and took my diploma from Mr. Peterman. I was surprised at how many cheers I got from the crowd. It must've been the baby. People just love babies, even if half the school was calling me a slut behind my back.

When we finally finished the ceremony, it was time to go have some fun. My dad was able to take Sapphire, and I was getting the night off with my friends. I was thankful my two besties were staying local for college like me, but with Emmi visiting her extended family in China for a month this summer and busy college schedules, who knew when we'd be able to hang out again.

The three of us went to Blue Dragon, our local hibachi restaurant. It was my first time there. We had a great time eating and watching the chef put on a show for us. My favorite part was the onion volcano. That and the food, which was out-of-this-world good. It truly was a perfect end to one of the best days I'd had in a long time.