Introduction

All my life, or for as long as I can remember I have lived in a small house in a small coastal town with my guardians, a sweet young couple. I've learned to care for them deeply and to care for my home deeply. Though as I continue to live I am still unsure and over the year there are things that I only begin to question more and more with each passing moment. My life despite seeming ordinary and like any other family that I have read about in books or watched in movies, or even from watching my neighbors. It's full of strange irony.

It began when I was very young, birthdays were always such an important tradition within my family. I was never allowed to invite anyone over to my house but there was always a way that Troy made birthdays special. I never remember how old I was on my previous birthdays but I remember barely being able to even sit in my chair without a booster seat. I was excited because it was the first time my guardians allowed me to invite one friend over, that would also be my second to last time unfortunately.

"There's one more gift left under your chair." Troy whispered as she lovingly rubbed my shoulders, the light from the candles had just begun to die down and the room was painted again with artificial light. Streamers and decorations, remnants of the party were strewn hastily across our family room not our living room though I believed that then I had not known the difference yet.

I turned around and looked under the chair I was seated at, there was a tiny box. I had recognized it already, " No way!" I gasped with excitement as I snatched it from under the chair, I instantly recognized the unique shape and the packaging. "An electronic journal"

"An electronic journal that will only respond to the eyes of Ambrose Hernan Lyle, our very beloved son, to help his creative little mind write as he pleases. Ambrose, I want you to know that you are such a blessing to us, whatever someone else says doesn't matter."Nika sat on the other side of me, I knew him as the husband of Troy and I had yet to adjust to him. Still I couldn't help but to smirk even a little bit.

"Wow, that's so cool Ambrose. Your parents are cool" Phenix, the only friend I was allowed to invite cooed and looked covetly at the journal. I guess, my guardians were a lot cooler than I thought that they were. Especially Nika.

"Well, there's a very important set of rules for using it though, you don't have to read them aloud right now, but we'll make sure to go over them with you later." Troy stared straight into my eyes, hers were blue and Nika's looked like they were black.

"Oh, I almost forgot about my present Ambrose, it's right in my pocket actually. Imagine if I left the party without realizing it." Phenix chuckled as they pulled a small and poorly wrapped gift out of their pocket.

"Phenix, thank you." And with that a rather bittersweet melancholic life began.

Author's Note: So I'm realizing just now that this one never got an author's note and wow that is depressing. In retrospect this was probably a really weird way to start a story, like you probably have no premise for anything and are now thoroughly confused. I hope that you can make some sense of the near nonsense and still be intrigued enough to continues onwards to the next chapter. With that being said our question of the chapter iiiiissssssss; What do you think Phenix's gift was? (Mini spider (aka spoiler):You won't find out for awhile)