[20]

The next morning, William left me naked in bed and went to his office. He kissed my forehead as a goodbye gesture.

I'm so sorry, Enzo

I get up from the bed and go into the shower, and scrub my skin until it hurts as I feel tears build in my eyes.

My tears get combined with the hot water as I sob silently, my head resting on the shower wall.

I never thought I had to do this again. I wanted to forget that part of my life, but I guess it will always be a part of me.

I get out of the shower and dry myself, I use some perfume to get rid of his smell and change into some fresh clothes.

I put a black woman's suit and black heels as my hair is in a slick ponytail.

I have to get into the lab.

I walk towards the lab, no one really giving me attention.

When I open the door, there is a man dressed in white. A scientist.

His head snaps to me, giving me a warm smile. He looks like he is in his 50s.

"What can I help you with dear?" I smile back, keeping the facade.

"I have a terrible headache. Is there something you could give me?" I ask, walking towards the counters to look for the antidote.

"Of course, dear, wait a second." The moment he turns around, I quickly scan for the antidote.

Come on, it gotta be around here somewhere.

I see it!

Right when I was about to grab it, the man turned around, and I quickly retracted my hand and smiled politely at him.

"Take this dear, you will feel better in a matter of seconds," he says, handing me a pill.

"Could you give me a glass of water with this?" I ask

"Of course! Silly me! I begin to forget things. " When he turns around again, I take a pill of the antidote and stuff it in my pocket.

He hands me the water, and I thank him, swallowing the pill.

"I recommend resting for a while," He says.

"Of course," I smile. "Thank you again,"

I walk outside the lab and make sure no one sees me when I head to the basement, where the cells are.

I open the door and go down the stairs. At this time of the day, the guards are in the lunch break.

I head in the direction I remember being taken out of.

I look out the small windows on the door until I see Enzo, still tied to a chair.

I slowly open the door.

They do indeed are dumb. They don't even lock it.

When I step inside, I see that Enzo has his head hung low, breathing more heavily than normal, and his hair is getting in his face.

"Enzo,"I say, coming closer to him.

His head slowly raises. The gag is still on, and I see sweat forming on his forehead, he's  paler, and has dark circles under his eyes.

I get to my knees in front of him and carefully take his gag off.

"Evelyn," He whispers, looking at me with tired eyes.

"It's me." I smile

"You shouldn't be here. They could catch you. "

"I can't let you die here either, Enzo," I say, taking out the pill.

"What's that?"He asks, pointing with his eyes at the pill in my hand.

"It's the antidote. You have to take it. " I bring it to his mouth, and he takes it weakly. "Swallow it," I say. He just hums too weak to speak and swallows the pill. "It should get you better." I say.

"It's okay, amore. If I don't make it-"

"You will make it, Enzo. I have a plan. Tomorrow, we will get out, " I say

"We don't have anyone here. What makes you think we could escape this," he swallows, closing his eyes for a moment but then opening them again. "'This base?"

"Tomorrow at 3 pm, the Russians will attack. I will come get you when it's time, okay?" I say, brushing my thumb on his cheek and then taking his hair out of his face.

He simply hums, "I have to go now. William might question where I am. "

"Okay," he says quietly.

I cup his face and kiss him. He returns back the kiss weakly. We pull away, and his forehead rests against mine, his eyes closed.

"I have to go," I whisper.

"I know." He responds, "I need to tell you something in case I don't make it -"

"No. You will tell me at our date that you owe me" I smile "I didn't forget"

He smiles back. "I didn't forget either,"

I get to my feet and put the gag back on. I smiled one last time before walking away.