Chapter 46

Numb. 

A state when emotions have become so strong, so overwhelming that the wires conducting all of your emotions just... fray leaving you with nothing left. Just this empty, heavy and overwhelming nothingness feeling. 

Numb. 

It's like your body shuts down all of your pain receptors to keep you from breaking into a million pieces because it's the type of pain a body can't heal itself from, so it does the next best thing, it tries to protect you, making everything feel far away. Because a broken heart isn't a physical thing. It won't be fixed with a vitamin supplement, or a salve that you put on a burn. It's all emotional bleeding and invisible cracks that eventually scar over, but until then, your world has ended and there is no outward sign as proof that you are broken, shattered, in need of a thousand sick days until your heart remembers how to beat again. 

Numb. 

That is what I felt. I knew that logically, there was so much more inside of me, but I had reached my limit. There was only so much reluctantly hugging Tate, and an endless supply of snacks— that he brought me— could do. 

Aiden sat to my left — a silent statue watching over everything— and Tate to my right, attempting to offer up distractions to keep my eyes off the hospital doors. Time seemed to blur into a slide show of white walls, florescent lighting and a blur of people waiting for their own set of answers.

It wasn't until a familiar face came into view that every emotion inside got a jolt back to the starting line, an electrical current that reminded me of why I always fought so hard. "Misty?" I breathed. 

She stopped right inside the double doors to the hospital building, looking around wildly. 

"I called them," Michale said in my ear. I had forgotten about the earpiece all together. "Allie would have killed me if I didn't," Michale added as an explanation. "Self preservation. And... I thought you could use a support system." 

A swell of gratitude for Michale gripped me so hard that I could barely manage a response. "Thank you, Michale."

"Just remember this the next time I insist you wear something," he supplied, a smile in his voice.

Misty spotted me and I barely had time to stand up before she barreled into me, arms wrapped tightly around my chest, nearly knocking me back down. "Delle!" she shouted, burrowing her face into my collarbone. 

I spotted Allie a few feet behind her, fingers deep in her jean pockets, eyes taking me in, looking for injuries. She was waiting her turn and based on Misty's death grip, it could be a while. I spotted a bag  along Allie's hip and realized she had come prepared with a change of clothes for me. Ever the demonstrator of love through actions.

"Hey kid," I murmured down at Misty. "I'm okay." 

"Liar," she mumbled, her grip somehow managing to grow tighter. 

I pulled Misty back slightly and crouched down to look her straight in the eye, hands on her shoulders. "Hey... I'm sorry." I took an unsteady breath. "I am so sorry. About everything." 

She swallowed, eyes brimming with tears. "I know. And I'm still mad, but... I'm so glad you're okay. " She pulled me in for another hug. "Just don't expect this situation to get you a free pass on keeping Dad a secret." 

I hugged her tighter, something inside loosening slightly. "Okay," I said quietly. "Thanks for being here." I looked up at Allie. "Thank you." 

Allie nodded, still silent, taking in the scene with an unreadable expression.