1. How?

Originally posted: Dec 1, 2022 Edited: Apr 30, 2023 + Aug 5, 2023.

Nana's head pounded with the worst headache of her life. She rolled over, clutching her head in her hands. She could barely think. Was she having a stroke? She was too healthy and young for that, but it hurt that bad.

She was in too much pain to notice how different the bedding below her felt and barely registered the unfamiliar voices around her.

"What's wrong with her?" asked a very tense voice.

"I can see that the problem is her head, but I do not know what is causing it," replied a nervous man. "Did she hit her head at all?"

"No. She was ill from a flu, but I kept her temperature down as you instructed." The voice was sharp and indicated that the other man was being held responsible for this occurrence.

Nana hadn't a clue what these strangers were on about. Images and impressions from experiences she never had flashed in her mind. It was a jarring occurrence that reminded her a little of virtual reality. She was actually feeling what a little girl, whom she had never met, had felt.

After a seemingly long period of time, that was only minutes, Nana's excruciating headache died down. She panted and kept her eyes tightly closed. The two men began bickering and Nana couldn't take it. "Can you please be quiet?"

The two men were stunned, but not as stunned as Nana was. Why did her voice sound like that? It was high pitched like a child's. Had she really been the one to speak?

"Okay, cub. How is the pain?" asked one of the two men in a much softer voice.

'Cub? What was this stranger calling me? And didn't he agree to be quiet?' Nana grunted instead of giving a proper response. Her headache may not be as overwhelming now, but it was still there.

When the stranger pestered her some more, Nana finally told him that her head hurt. Of course, they could tell that much already. Nana didn't know what else they were expecting.

Nana chanced opening her eyes. The moment she tried, she was forced to shut them again. The light was too much for her right now. The two men in the room whispered quietly to each other.

Nana was not impressed. She assumed something happened to her and she was in the hospital or a clinic. What surprised her was the lack of hospital smells. So she did not know what hospitals were supposed to smell like, but certainly not like dust and old leather.

Was an ambulance on its way to get her then? Or did these two men decide not to call one? And where was her friend and why did she leave Nana with these men?

Nana's questions remained unanswered. She would have to learn for herself it seemed. After her headache ebbed, she tried opening her eyes again. It took her a moment to adjust to the light.

Nothing in her immediate sight looked familiar at all. Her legs brushed against something soft as she tried to move them causing her to glance down. The bedding she was lying on... looked like authentic fur.

Nana glanced around in shock. She was in an old, stone and brick home. Like really, really old. It didn't match. She was in a house-like structure that was straight out of the ancient times, while laying on some seriously expensive looking furs.

When her confused gaze met the two men in the room, she felt her eyebrows threaten to fly off her face. They were gorgeous, but both were dressed to match the ambiance. She was sure that she didn't know these beautiful men, but she also felt like she did. Were they actors? Did she stumble onto a set? That was troubling. Hopefully, they don't give her a hard time for interrupting them.