1

The house on the hill appears quite normal when you're standing at the front gate. With its spacious porch, arched windows, and tower extending into the air, anyone would believe a wealthy merchant lives here.

The answer is, there once did.

Clement Clandestine was one of the wealthiest of merchants in the northern realm of Sangaris, with over a dozen ships that transported his goods far and wide. But his greatest wealth was his wife and daughter, Lovelle. He had this house built for them; with a big garden they could tend to as a family.

But after the untimely death of his wife, Clement fell into mourning and lost half of his business. Burdened with grief and debt, he risked losing the house he had built for his family.

So, to save what's left and to ensure a future for Lovelle, Clement married the rich and recently widowed Lady Octavia, who already had two daughters with her late husband.

With his house and daughter secured, he set sail on his last ship to see what is left of his good name in the southern realm – but never returned.

Clement Clandestine's ship was caught in a storm and was sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Her father's death came as a shock to Lovelle, who was now left to the mercy of her stepmother and stepsisters. Without the funds to pay the staff, Lady Octavia demoted her to a slave, holding her responsible for the upkeeping of the house.

For years, Lovelle – dubbed Elle by her stepsisters – worked as a slave, cleaning the house, cooking for her stepmother and stepsisters, washing their clothes, and tending to the garden her father left for her. She had very little luxuries, being only allowed to eat what is left over from mealtimes, to bathe in water with no soaps and oils, and only to have two plain dresses in her closet.

The constant labour and malnutrition made her frail, with colourless skin and sunken cheeks, and in the end, Elle looked the epitome of a maid. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, yes, the house on the hill appears quite normal when you're standing at the front gate. With its spacious porch, arched windows, and tower extending into the air, anyone would believe a wealthy merchant lives here.

The answer is, there once did.

And now, only the shell of his daughter remains in the halls, on her knees scrubbing the floors day in and day out.

It has been a bright, sunny day – perfect for visiting the town square and shop for new dresses. Lady Octavia and her daughters, Igraine and Lucinda, were in their element as the seamstresses brought them one gown after the other to try on. The colours ranged from rich reds to royal blues, all dusted with gold lace and gemstone fragments.

Next, they enjoyed a pleasant brunch and tea at the fountain, where classy servants served them with silver plates and a local orchestra played their instruments on the stage in the middle of the square.

Igraine kept taking her new jewellery out of its packaging, trying them on one by one for everyone who walks by, to see. Lucinda was occupied ogling the young noble men escorting their mothers through the market stalls, constantly pulling the neckline of her dress down to reveal more cleavage when one would look her way.

Lady Octavia was also looking at the young men, but with different intention than her youngest daughter. Soon, Igraine will turn twenty and Lucinda nineteen, and they should start thinking about courtship and marriage. And nothing less than the best for her daughters. So, Lady Octavia scouts the talent in the square, judging the men's wealth by their and their mothers' attires, and which shops they enter.

It is truly a talent to be able to recognize wealth, in her opinion. She knew the moment she saw Clement that he was on the brink of losing everything. He used to be a successful merchant, so he had the skills of a businessman. He had a house, and a fine one of those, with a big garden and large windows. She, on the other hand, just lost her husband and their house, which was to be inherited by her brother-in-law who evicted them the moment the will was read.