Five

"Mama!" Mark yelled, running his short legs up the hill to where all the children are gathered. "Mama!"

"Mark!" Isabella exclaimed worriedly, kneeling down in front of him as he stopped in front of her puffing heavily. All the other children present looked at him concerned. She asked if he was alright while he regained his breathing, hands on knees as he looked down.

"What should I do?" he cried out sobbing. "I got separated from Naila in the forest!"

There was a collective gasp as he wailed. "I tried looking, but I couldn't find her!"

He sobbed painfully in front of Isabella, but she ignored him completely, instead focusing her attention on the pocketwatch she pulled out. She opened the latch and smiled, this going unnoticed by Norman.

"It'll be okay," Isabella reassured calmly, smiling at the distraught boy on the ground. She then rose from the ground, looked back at the crowded children, and instructed them to stay where they were, but as she was about to walk off, Gilda interrupted her.

"Wait, Mama," she pleaded, reaching a hand out. "We are still missing another child!"

"Y/n!" Don, revealed. "Where is she?"

Another gasp went around the children, and Isabella just sighed in annoyance, guessing what was to come.

"I found her!" Phil exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger up in the tree. There, Y/n lay lazily sleeping as her arms and hair hung in the air. A huge sigh of relief went around the younger children, but Emma, Norman, Don, Gilda, Nat and Anna just smiled warmly at the sight.

This was a frequent habit of Y/n's. She would disappear for sometimes hours and then they would find her only to realise she was there the entire time. The older kids knew it all too well, smiling up at the peaceful state she was in despite the ruckus down below.

But as much as Y/n wanted to, she was not sleeping. She made sure to keep her breathing slow and steady around Isabella and Norman, knowing they were smart enough to figure out she wasn't sleeping, and as she saw Isabella walk down the hill for Naila, she mentally sighed. 

She had been following Emma and Norman around all day, finding her suspicions correct. They knew about the House, the demons, Isabella, and were planning to escape. She had even followed them to the wall, where she heard Emma say "There's no way anyone could climb this." and almost fell off the tree. 

The sun had almost set, and it was starting to thunder, but Y/n still hadn't heard any new. It surprised her, since they were the smartest in the orphanage she thought they would have figured out more information than her. Though, she had lost sight of them after breakfast, so she figured they went to talk alone about the matter.

It annoyed her really. She had spent the entire day following them, only to find out they know nothing new. She could have been training or getting much-needed sleep. Not like she slept at night anyway.

"Ah!" Phil exclaimed, pointing ahead of him. The children awed as Isabella's head bobbed into view, smiling caringly at the napping Naila in her arms.

"Naila!" Phil yelled in relief, he and Mark ran up to Isabella happily with Don, Gilda, Lannion and Thoma running up behind.

"She got tired and fell asleep," Isabella explained happily, reassuring the children. "Look, not a scratch on her."

"Thank goodness!" Mark cried, earning soft laughter from the surrounding children. "I'm so sorry, Naila. I'm sorry!"

Emma and Norman stayed where they were, looking out at the scene in front of them. Y/n also stayed where she was, considering she was supposed to be asleep and Emma would for sure notice her move.

"It's like Mama knew exactly where Naila was," Norman noted, Y/n's head perking up at the mention of this.

"Well this is new."

"Come to think of it," Emma added. "Mama has always been good at finding us. No matter where we hid, she found us quickly."

"That's not a pocketwatch," Norman concluded. "Tracking devices."

Emma and Y/n both gasped at this, Y/n quickly covering up her mouth after. How could she have been so stupid?

Norman continued. "They could be implanted somewhere in our bodies. And Mama used the compact and purposely showed us so we would figure it out. 'No matter who it is, I won't let you escape'. That's probably what Mama wants to say."

Y/n's eyes widened. For almost ten years she had been here, and she couldn't realise something so simple. She felt like a complete idiot.

"Well, at least today wasn't a complete waste," she decided, lying down once more when Isabella came into view. She passed with the hoard of children, Emma and Norman smiling politely at her as she passed, soon after both of them gritted their teeth.

"Mama is... an enemy."

.

.

.

Unbeknownst to the three of them, Ray was watching the scene through a small casement window, eyes narrowing slightly when he kept seeing Y/n above the two moving, as if reacting to what they were saying. That, plus this morning's fiasco, had his suspicions raised sky-high.

"What the hell is she doing?"

.

.

.

A short chapter because I have hardly any time, but there will be an extra long chapter next to make up for it so don't worry.

A shower thought for today: Does a straw have one hole or two?

I will add pictures later because once again I have like no time but if I forget please let me know okay bye :)