5) NALINI- The closeness of a mile

I saw Kabir leave the room as I stepped out of the closet. It's been over two weeks now. As soon as we got back, I had been upset about the whole thing. Especially when he started ignoring me like thin air, I didn't feel like it'd be useful to put much effort into this stuff.

We were like two roommates, who followed their own schedule despite being in the same room. I barely saw him, he left early but got back usually late. I didn't speak much around him neither did he. It was weird in its own way. Especially the fact that there was this strange energy between us.

None of the other members questioned anything. My  in laws had left a week ago for their trip to Kerala. Trisha had gone back to her university while Abhishek was usually busy in his college and acting classes. I barely hung out with anyone. I was usually busy with the events that I organised. The changing weather brought up many pros, such as rise in market. Which affected our family business too.

My working hours were usually flexible but after the Shekhawat's, I had to manage the household chores supervision. It was an easy task but kept me busy all day long. Just as I was lost in my thoughts, still staring at the door, Kabir entered the room again. His eyes met mine, for the first time in a while. The fact that it made me feel flutters rise in my chest was crazy.

He worse a suit, and I swear I hadn't gotten a good look at him and jaded up, and he looked handsome but in a very bad way. Those eyes were cold as he walked past me inside the closet. He wasn't even looking at me, but through me as he passed me. I sighed. I had stopped wearing the sarees as soon as I got back to my routine.

All I wore was store-bought suits with my shoe. Yet today I didn't feel like it. My stomach ached and I groaned from the pain that shot up again bringing me back to the reality. He stepped outside. "Mrs.Shekhawat, I want you ready in five, we've a brunch to attend with a client of mine." He said casually as he walked outside the door.

I looked at myself in the mirror, I just had a bathing robe on. The realisation hit me. I closed my eyes gently feeling the pain grow in my groin. "I can't. I am not feeling well." I sighed and he shot his face towards me.

"See I am not interested in taking you along, it's just that I don't have a choice. You have to attend, mom's not here. You can't say no, also it would be short. I will make sure it's short." He eyed me and his eyes stopped at my hand resting on my hip before they moved back to my face. He believed me at-least that I wasn't doing well.

"Okay, give me ten minutes. Should I wear traditional or.."
"Anything would do." He said as he put his phone to his ear and exited the room. I decided to wear a cherry-red cocktail dress that reached my knees. I decided to pair it with my heels. I pushed my hair up in a half-up-do. My curtains bangs did the job to frame my face while I put some makeup on.

After I was done, I rushed to the closet and searched through each drawer. I found the pills, I needed and swallowed them dry. I moaned from the bitterness as I walked outside. I was about to step outside when Kabir stepped in blocking me. I stumbled backwards but he caught me by my waist. His warm hand rested right where I needed them. The heat from his hand providing comfort to my cramps reeking through my lower back and legs.

I shut my eyes gently before I stepped back. "Sorry." I whispered, barely audible. Kabir eyed my face before he leaned down and I was surprised. I craned my neck as he leaned down to sniff gently on my neck. I felt my pulse rise and I failed to say out loud, the thoughts in my head.

He looked at my face. I stared at those brown eyes that came in my view again. "Why aren't you wearing your perfume today? Where is your jewellery?" He asked as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me with him towards the closet again. He seemed impatient than ever. What was wrong?