CHAPTER FOURTEEN

During the day, the docks looked completely different. Bright morning sun reflected off the white of the boats and ripples of cerulean water sparkled in between. Boaters and fishermen milled about, gearing up for what was looking to be a beautiful Saturday on the bay. As the road beyond the marina curved and narrowed into one lane along the cement barrels, I slowed the truck to a stop in front of the dockhouse. I could already tell Rafael hadn't been home, but I cranked the shifter into park and hopped out to check the front door anyway.

Locked.

I tipped the green ceramic planter with my toe, checking to make sure the spare house key was still hidden away. And it was. But the keys that tempted me instead were the ones already in my hand, attached to Artie's malocchio charm.

Turning back towards the marina, I walked down the same path I had been forced to crawl over last night. Pretty sure the dark flecks and smears on the cement were drops of my blood. But instead of following the breakwater around the harbor where Cal had me pitted against the bay, I walked up to the gate on dock C and typed in Artie's birthday on the PIN pad.

Denied.

Rafael's birthday.

Denied.

My own.

As I hit enter, the lock clicked open and I slowly slid the gate to the side. Artie's Sundancer occupied the only slip as it always had. I used to joke that it was because she couldn't dock with other boats around which was half true, but mostly the locals knew to give the Cassini's their space. It was best not to witness any of their dealings—drugs, guns, art. Even now, as I walked down the metal gangway, other boaters knew to mind their business and not look this way.

Hopping onto the swim platform, I unzipped the aft cover and opened the transom door. Sleek white vinyl cushions wrapped around the cockpit's TV lounge, continuing up to the captain's chair at the helm station. I smiled as I noticed the bow thruster, a new addition since I'd last been aboard. Glossy walnut paneling led around to the port side and down to the companionway. As I slid the cabin door open, a soft voice floated around me.

"You stole my good running shoes."

I turned to see Desirae standing below on the dock. A pair of round dark sunglasses hid her eyes. Her hair was pulled off to the side, draping over her shoulder and down the front of her sundress. I tried to ignore how gorgeous she looked. "As they say, once a thief, always a thief."

"You trying to run away again?"

"And break your contract?" I scoffed. "I know you think I'm dumb, but I'm not that dumb."

"I don't think you're dumb, Kirby." She slid her sunglasses to the top of her head to look up at me. I almost believed her. "But I am questioning your motive for breaking into your ex's yacht when her father wants you dead."

"I'm not breaking into it. It's already open," I corrected her. "No one locks their cabin doors here. Costs too much to replace if a thief were to break in." But why I was here, I wasn't even sure. Stepping out from the cockpit, I held out my hand to help her aboard. "Besides, I have the keys."

She hesitated, glancing over her shoulder. "What are you doing, then?"

"What are you doing, following me?"

"I'm trying to make sure you stay out of trouble." She grabbed onto a shiny rail to pull herself aboard, but her sandals slipped on the platform. I caught her waist and pulled her into me before she went down. Her dark eyes looked remorseful again as she slid out of my arms. "This feels like trouble."

"You're telling me."

I pulled away from her and turned back towards the cabin, ducking my head to step down below. Even after months, Artemisia's perfume still lingered. At first her scent hit me with a wave of nostalgia and I half expected her to be sitting on the bed, waiting for me in the dark, but as the floral notes settled, they only reminded me of the sprigs of lavender and cut peonies that wrapped Gabriel's body.