56. The Weighing of the Wands

When Y/n awoke the next morning the memory of the previous night rolled over him and he sat up rubbing his eyes with a deep frustrated sigh. He stayed like that for a few moments before he ripped back the curtains of his own four-poster, intending to talk to Harry and if he could, to speak civilly with Ron. Y/n turned his head to see that Ron's bed was empty however, he had most likely gone down to breakfast.

Harry seemed to stir now as his curtains opened and he saw Y/n. "Where's Ron?" He asked.

"He is not here." Y/n told him moving to let his legs hang off the edge of his bed now.

"Last night our names really were drawn weren't they..." Harry said remembering everything that happened now.

"Yes.." Y/n said getting up and looking out the dormitory window. "And we still have no clue as to who put our names in."

The two then agreed that they would go down to breakfast to try and find Ron or Hermione. So they got dressed and went down the spiral staircase into the common room. The moment they appeared, the people who had already finished breakfast broke into applause again. The prospect of going down into the Great Hall and facing the rest of the Gryffindors, all treating them like a pair of heroes, was not inviting, it was that, however, or stay here and allow themselves to be cornered by the Creevey brothers, who were both beckoning frantically to Y/n and Harry to join them.

Y/n walked forward first as he headed resolutely over to the portrait hole, pushed it open, climbed out of it, and found himself surprised when he was face to face with Hermione as Harry followed him out.

"Hello..." she said, holding up a stack of toast, which she was carrying in a napkin. "I brought you both this...Want to go for a walk?"

"Good idea." said Harry gratefully taking some toast.

Y/n just looked away nodding his head. In truth he had hoped to run into Ron first, He would have found it easier to try and settle the matter with him than Hermione. While he and Harry were innocent Hermione's judgement was not something he wanted to be on the receiving end of, Hermione was truly his closest friend and falling out with her would irritate him more than it had with Ron last night. But would she believe him and Harry?

They went downstairs, crossed the entrance hall quickly without looking in at the Great Hall, and were soon striding across the lawn toward the lake, where the Durmstrang ship was moored, reflected blackly in the water. It was a chilly morning, and they kept moving, Harry and Hermione munching on their toast as Y/n slowly nibbled on his having no real appetite. Instead he told Hermione exactly what had happened after they had left the Gryffindor table the night before and to Y/n's immense relief, Hermione accepted their story without question.

"Well, of course I knew you both hadn't entered yourself." she said when he'd finished telling her about the scene in the chamber off the Hall. "The look on your faces when Dumbledore read out your names! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right...I don't think any student could have done it...they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get over Dumbledore's..."

"Have you seen Ron?" Harry interrupted.

Hermione hesitated.

"Erm... yes... he was at breakfast." she said.

"Does he still think we entered ourselves?" Y/n asked her.

"Well... no, I don't think so... not really." said Hermione awkwardly.

"I see..." Y/n said understanding fully well what she meant but he decided he would not be one to rise quickly to anger. For now they had managed to convince Hermione, that was all that mattered. Ron could be dealt with once he had calmed down.