30

Deception.

It's a vice I'm familiar with. I recognize it; I know how it looks and talks, but I choose to live with it. Tyler's facial dissonance, similar to Mason's when he lied, is still vivid in my mind.

When I stop playing Candy Crush, the thoughts I've been trying to keep at bay come flooding back. To keep my sanity, I have to construct a different narrative in my head to that Lia is probably at the beach unwinding and she is okay.

"I downloaded Candy crush too, still at the start but i know i will catch up with you." Mason says and i am startled, i had forgotten he was with me.

I don't respond; instead, I check my phone and the messages Rome sends me to calm me down.

"I love you, i never stopped." Mason says.

I sigh tired, "Not now Mason,"

"I just want to let you know." He focuses on driving.

"I can't believe you called my mother and on top of that threw me under the bus." The anger i have been holding returns.

"You wanted me to tell her about the swap nonsense?" He asks.

"Since you called her, you could have."

"She doesn't need to know our business like that." He defends his foolishness.

Dear God, his words instigate rage in me and tempt me to act badly. I would have thought that at the very least he changed and stopped deflecting from issues or accepting responsibility for his actions.

Normally i would start an argument with him, hoping at some point he would at least reason with me and repeatedly i would end up being on the wrong because of my tone of voice. I just focus back on my phone so that i don't argue with him.

"We should never have agreed to that swap nonsense, it made you change," He is really testing my patience.

"Can you stop talking, i can only think of one thing at a time and that is Lia and Jax."

"I still consider her my sister in law and like Tyler said, she is probably alright." He says.

I nod, realizing that the only way to silence him is to agree with him; he loves to be right. He feels powerful when he is the one who is correct, and I give him exactly that, a behavior I have encouraged for far too long.

I am glad when we get to the police station, Rome's face fall when he sees Mason behind me and pray that none of them will be foolish to start a fight at a police station.

Rome Pov

I've had enough of the police's incompetence. I keep getting transferred from one police person to another, and the best excuse they can come up with is that she probably ran away with a man. Typical! That is the most commonly misused assumption in most of the crime shows Athena watches.

Finally, just as I'm about to burst, a man approaches and introduces himself as Detective Conan. He listens to me when I explain my issue, and he is ready to offer the necessary assistance as I accompany him to his office.

After i am done filing the report based on all the information Athena gave me, i walk out and i notice her at first then Mason. Why is he here with her? I have to stop myself from walking to her and kiss her in front of him. But now is not the time since we might end up in one of the cell. The priority is first finding Lia, i hate to see Athena in her present condition.

I am surprised when she hugs me and i see Mason take a step forward ready to reap her away from me. But it is a short impulse hug on her part and i see her regret it immediately.

"What have they said?" She asks anxiously.

"I just filled a missing person report and the detective have said they will go over at her work place to gather more information." I answer but that does nothing to ease her worries.

"I can't wait for them," She says.

"But what can you do, Lia is a grown woman and a rebellious one for that matter." Mason comments.

"Where is he here?" I ask.

"I am her husband and Lia is Family to. Why are you here?" He fires back.

I shake my head, "You are unbelievable." I say.

"You can leave now, my wife and i will follow up thereon." Mason smirks.

"I am going to go to the hotel she was staying." Athena announces as she starts to walk away and we both follow her.

"I will drive you." I offer.

"It is a four hour drive..." She informs me.

"And i will still drive you." I tell her.

"I brought her here, i have the responsibility of driving her."

"Responsibility?" I huff. "You couldn't even stay loyal to my trust and her trust too. There is nothing you stand for." I snap.

"You can have your wife back." He says carelessly.

"It doesn't work that way." I inform him.

"Stop it!" Athena yells attracting the attention of the people around.

"Rome will drive me." She says and i give a smug smile at Mason.

"Do he know you hate long trips and tend to get sick?" He turns to Athena.

She appears thoughtful and whatever she wanted to say, she decides otherwise, "I will be okay." Is all she says.

"Fine, don't come begging for forgiveness." Mason laments.

Athena eyes darken, and she looks possessed, "What is wrong with you?" She throws a pieces of paper she had to him.

"You are disrespecting me, choosing another man in front of me. What kind of a wife are you?" Mason utters in disbelief.

"Let's go!" Athena pulls me.

"Don't come begging." He reminds her.

It is frustrating how he treats her, like she is not human and his wrongs are the only ones allowed. I must punch him again when we return.

Athena seems disturbed, it is like she believes his words.

"He's wrong. Don't feel guilty over anything." I assure her.

She just nods.