33. ALONE TOGETHER

THE ROOM FELL silent following Noah's departure.

"If you want you can swallow these, they might help with the pain." I said, opening the pill bottle and pouring a full dose into my palm. Then, reaching over, I took Cassian's hand into mine and transferred the pills to his palm. I wasn't even sure if ordinary painkillers would work on him, but the possibility that it might briefly take away his pain made it worth a try.

"I can get you some wa-" I stood before pausing, watching as Cassian raised his hand to his mouth. Popping the pills into his mouth, he closed his eyes as he swallowed them, dry. I blinked at him in silent shock, he didn't even give me time to get him a glass of water. He just took them.

Cassian's gaze flicked back to me once he had opened his eyes, blinking up at me. His brows knitted together as he studied my face, and I realized I must have still looked taken aback. Immediately, I schooled my features back to normal.

"How are you feeling?" I asked casually, standing up to walk towards the dresser on the other side of the room.

Noah had said there would be some clothes in there for Cassian, so I figured I would see if I could find anything that would fit him. Noah was tall, but not nearly as tall or as muscular as Cassian. Reaching the dresser, I pull open one of the doors to find it stocked full of men's shirts and immediately began looking, pulling out a shirt and holding it up to check the size before setting it aside if it looked too small.

"How do I feel?" Cassian started, repeating my question to himself. At his response, I glanced back at Cassian. His expression had hardened and he was staring off into the distance.

I sucked in a breath, "Are you in pain? Can I get you anything? Water...food..." I began, hoping to prompt an answer from him. I think my question had confused him, or at the very least troubled him enough to warrant no response. I doubt anyone in his life had ever cared to ask him how he felt.

But I did. I thought to myself. I knew that I would never be able to wipe away the trauma of his upbringing, I swore to myself that at the very least he would know that I cared. That no matter what happened, I would be there with him, always together.

Cassian didn't answer my other question. Instead, his jaw was set as his eyes roamed the room before settling on the bed he was sitting on. I watched silently as he brushed his hand over the soft linen sheets, his eyes widening slightly as he marveled.

After picking out a simple pair of jeans and a white shirt, I came over, setting the clothes between us as I sat on the mattress beside him.

Wordlessly, Cassian reached for the clothes, standing up to put them on. I turned, averting my eyes to give him some privacy as he got dressed. I doubted he cared if I looked, but that might just be because he has never known privacy.

He took longer than I expected, but I figured if he got confused he would ask. I was sure he had seen enough people in the lab wearing jeans and shirts to get the idea. After a while, I felt the bed dip beside me, and I opened my eyes to see that he had managed to dress himself just fine.

Finally taking him in, my eyes widened. Noah's clothes were a bit small, and clung to his well-built body like a second skin. But it looked good, too good actually. My eyes settled on his shirt, which hugged his muscled chest perfectly and I quickly glanced away, my cheeks flushing.

I shut my eyes, forcing myself to focus.

"I know everything is new for you...and it is probably incredibly frustrating." I began, opening my eyes to peer over at Cassian who listened silently beside me, "...but I promise it will get easier." I finished, giving him an encouraging look.