Hunted

PROMPT: Write a story below 500 words.

CW(s): slight gore, fatal injury, disturbing imagery.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

There it is, in all its glory.

The majestic beast, a giant amongst its ilk, grazing the green pastures of paradise.

Antlers of gold sit upon its head like a crown, bigger than any King's. They stretch towards the sky, reaching for the Gods even as the beast bows to kiss the earth.

Sunlight filters through the foliage above, bouncing off its glowing fur and blinding me for a second. My eyes water, but I keep them open. I can't afford to lose my prize. Not when it's this close.

The creature stops to rest.

I take a deep breath and pull back the string, taut and ready. I stare down the arrow head, straight into my target.

The heart. The creature's beating heart. It needs to be a clean shot. Quick and painless.

Remember, this is Her forest. She is watching.

Sweat drips down my brow, my own heart racing. I'm shaking, muscles burning from crouching low on the ground for so long. But I have to wait for the perfect shot. I can't miss. Not this time.

There's a sound. The snap of a twig somewhere.

The beast springs up. Its head shoots up, alert.

I adjust my aim. The creature is still, but not for long. I have to shoot now before it runs off. But sunlight reflects and flashes across my eyes again. The world goes white just as I let out my breath and my grip on the arrow slips.

No!

I shut my eyes tight. I don't need to see to know that I've missed the beast's heart. That it's going to be a gut shot.

There's no sound. Not a single thud or garbled cry.

I open my eyes.

The beast is gone.

She is there in its place, in all Her golden glory, red flowing from a hole in Her bare stomach.

Something burns. I look down.

My sight blurs, but I can see the same hole in my midriff, cloth soaked a dark red with a foul smell.

My hands feel numb. The bow drops to the ground.

I can't breathe.

A cold, hard touch under my jaw guides my gaze upward.

She is here, in all Her blinding glory, a towering giant kneeled in front of me. Her head tilts as She inspects my face with pearly white eyes.

I glance down between us. She is still bleeding, a glistening ruby red that runs down and mingles with my gut stained blood, drenching the grass beneath us.

I'm starting to feel the pain. The burning is getting worse and I want to curl into myself, clutch the hole and stop the life that's flowing out of me.

I open my mouth to scream.

She tilts my chin up. Slowly, She brings a finger to Her lips.

I close my mouth.

The pain dies down, the world fades. I let go and drift away, watching Her smile wide with white sharpened teeth.

I know better now.

I am Her prey.