2

Her entire body felt numb, the ringing in her ears drowning out any sound of the crowed, her vision blurry

Her entire body felt numb, the ringing in her ears drowning out any sound of the crowed, her vision blurry. Was she breathing? She genuinely couldn't tell. Maybe it'd be better if she didn't, maybe then this nightmare would end. She'd wake up to Katniss shaking her, ready to go hunting. She'd peel Prim from the crook of her arm and kiss her goodbye.

Prim.

The thought of her baby sister sent adrenaline through her veins. It wasn't Katniss shaking her it was Grace, pulling her arm and calling her name. As soon as the world came back into focus she began to move.

This couldn't be happening, she had to intervene. She could volunteer, she could take her place. The last thing she wanted was to leave her family, but if it meant Primrose was safe, she'd do it gladly.

The girls in her section quickly parted, allowing her a clear path to the center aisle that lead to the stage. But she wasn't quick enough, she knew it as soon as she saw Katniss jump out of her own section, far ahead of her. Katniss would make it first, she knew what she was trying to do. Wisteria broke into a sprint, she could hear the pounding of Peacekeepers chasing her, but she had to try.

They intercept Katniss first, holding her back from Prim who was staring at them all terrified.

"No! No!" Katniss shrieks, shoving against the Peacekeepers, trying to get to their sister.

"Katniss no!" Wisteria shouts and Katniss looks behind her, making eye contact with her older sister before standing tall. So close, Wisteria was so close to them. Maybe she could've done it if she hadn't hesitated.

"I volunteer - I volunteer!!" Katniss shrieks as the Peacekeepers release her, letting her stand on her own.

"I volunteer as tribute," Katniss announces and Wis is finally caught, a pair of arms catching her from around the waist, knocking the air out of her.

"Let me go!" She cries, kicking at the armored body until it drops her. Using the last bit of her breath to reach them, she bolts down the pathway. Prim hides her face in Katniss's dress, staining it with tears.

"Prim go find mom. Go with Wis and find mom, I'm so sorry," Katniss cries, trying to soothe her.

"Well... I think we have District 12's very first volunteer! Where's the mayor..." Effie Trinket's voice echos through the speakers apprehensively.

"Let me do it, you don't have to do this" Wisteria shouts at her sister, tears streaming down her face as she falls to her knees beside them. She didn't care about the cameras, or the peacekeepers. She couldn't let Katniss sacrifice herself.

"It's done, Wis, you can't talk me out of it this time," Katniss shakes her head before her eyes dart behind Wisteria's head. Wis follows her eyes to Gale, who immediately scoops a shrieking Prim up onto his hip.

"No! I can't let you," Wis shakes Katniss's shoulders, but an arm reaches around her waist, pulling her to her feet. Knowing it was Gale, she didn't kick like she did at the Peacekeepers. But she cried, she shouted and she cried and she let Gale drag her away knowing that Katniss was right. She was too late, it was done.