23 - Coaxing

(A/N: Remis' POV.)

I sighed and opened my bedroom doors haphazardly. The gently glowing red amulet fixed to my neck rustled with my staggering movements. I single-mindedly lurched towards the enchanting bed in the middle of the room and flopped, facefirst, onto the soft mattress's silk comforter.

Closing my eyes without a thought in my mind, I breathed in the smell of the sheets' soap and sighed, contented and relieved.

Then two claws hit the back of my head with force, its nails digging into my scalp, shooting bursts of pain through his head. The owl laying atop my head huffed with indignation, and began repeatedly jumping around my head to get my face out of my pillow.

Oh, right. There was still this dude. I groaned and refused to move. My grumpiness made me especially stubborn that night, and despite the pain that the vexed bird was obviously purposely inflicting on me, I was unwilling to move even an inch.

After five minutes of sharp claws harshly kneading my scalp, I finally conceded and abruptly stood up with an exasperated expression on my face. "Alright, I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner and made you wait, huh! Let me get treats for you, get off my head!" I roared.

Nar squawked with satisfaction and flew off my head with what I'm sure was a simper covering half of its face.

I grumbled a few dissatisfied words, saying that I wasn't going to feed that reckless bird next time, and reached to the bottom of the cupboard to grab the dried treat jerky bag. With eyes half-closed, I ambled back to the bed and gestured for the bird to hop on my lap. I fed it especially well, knowing that it had waited for me outside my bedroom window for no less than three hours.

After successfully coaxing the disgruntled bird, I threw the half-eaten jerky back to the side. Nar hopped off me without complaint, flying to and fro with a jiggling, full belly.

I scooted back and propped my head up on the bed's upholstered headboard. I was glad that I remembered I had tucked the note into my tailcoat, or else I would be having a fit of panic from thinking I had lost it, or that Cyrus had taken it from the bird while I wasn't looking.

My dear Remis,

I've finally completed my goal. A delegation will be sent to Vires Kingdom soon, on the premise of a formal apology from the Nyiel Royal family for the attempted assassination on Xenith's son made by the Ramond marquisate.

I've wanted to meet you for many years. I feel us growing closer every time we exchange letters, but I've become greedy. I want more.

In truth, Nar is my spiritual pet. I have the Air element of magic; and after mastery, I've found my innate warped ability, interspecies communication through a breath's mana flow.

For years, I've been asking Nar about your appearance, your voice, your smile, and I really have grown greedy.

I know I've never told you my identity, and I know that you've never told me yours. So I'm going to tell you now. 

I'm the second prince of the Nyiel Kingdom.

It's only a matter of time before I come for you, lovely Remis. I'm going to find where you are and bring you back with me. Someday, you'll be mine.

My face fell. I promptly threw the note across the bed, unable to bear reading it any longer.

Why were his words especially flowery today? And what did he mean 'I'm going to bring you back with me'? He doesn't even know my identity. There's no way he'll be able to find me.

And anyway, he's the second prince of the Nyiel Kingdom, there's no way he'll be able to trouble himself with finding an unknown boy with unknown origins.