Christmas, 25 Dec. 2020

Month 10 of dating.

"I know you said you'll get something better than what I wore for halloween, but this is just-"

I hugged the pillow closer to myself in anticipation, still on the sofa. "Come on, Lu, I've been waiting for the past 15 minutes."

My lovely boyfriend- I would never tire of referring to him as that in my head- only yelled from the room he had been cooped up in for the past quarter of an hour. "I think I've got it. Just... don't laugh, okay?"

"Fine, I promise I won't. Come on ou-" I started to say but promptly trailed off as the door opened, revealing Luca standing in the brand new cat ears I'd gotten him- but that wasn't all. He had taken the liberty of wearing one of my sweatshirts that was almost four sizes too big on him and hung low till his thighs, leaving the rest of his legs bare. Standing there with that nervous look on his face, with the two ears sticking out of his dark hair and the cat tail and the sweatshirt- well, I'd never loved someone as much as I loved him in that moment.

My mouth went dry.

Luca tensed at the silence, leaning into himself a bit before clearing his throat. "So? What do you think?"

"Twirl," 

There was look of comical sheer panic on his face. "Twirl?" At my encouraging nod, he blinked a few times but twirled nonetheless, the bell tied to his neck twinkling as he turned around a circle. I could see the little tail coming out of the edge of my sweatshirt- it was adorable. I let out a chuckle of delight.

"You're having way too much fun with this already." 

I was about to laugh at the accusation in his voice but I noticed the slight difference in his usual posture- and my brows furrowed in worry. "It's not too tight or something, right? Are you comfy?"

Luca nodded, "Hmm, it's comfortable. I thought the collar would be a little constricting, but the fabric's nice." He traced the collar with his finger. "Where did you buy this?"

I pursed my lips, wondering what he would think of the site I had gotten it from. "A magician never reveals his secrets." 

A horrified look crossed his pretty features. "Flynn, it's not for an actual cat, is it?"

I raised a brow, "What's the difference? You're just as much of a real cat."

"I'm not! I can't meow!"

"Or can you? Try it."

"Try?" Luca's lower lip trembled and his eyes went round- just like a cat's. I was, by all means, not a furry- but when you had a boyfriend who was as similar to a cute little animal as one can get, it wasn't quite much of a choice. Besides, I'd gotten him the ears and the tail because I knew he would look soul-crushingly adorable in it, not because I'd get turned on or whatever. But the collar, however... "Meow?"

I couldn't help it- I burst into loud laughter at the sorry attempt of meowing- which was still somehow, adorable. 

"Ah, stop already." he pouted, and I raised my hands in defeat, trying to subdue my laughter. It wasn't fair to him, asking him to do something and laughing over it. I never wanted to make him feel like I was making fun of him. "Now, I want you to open yours."

I grabbed the wrapped gift near the coffee table and pointed at it questioningly. Luca nodded and came to sit beside me, the bell making jingling sounds as he bounded over. "What is it?"

"It's uh...well, I knew you really wanted it so I saved up a lot."

I carefully tore through the wrapping of the box, finally getting to the cover. It was plain, and cardboard, so I couldn't even read what it was. When I pried the top open and removed what it was...well, it was the second time that evening my mouth hung open.