• Perfect Storm • | 44 |

July 02

July 02

*6 Months Ago*

I look out of the clear glass window. A small smile on my face.

I'm finally out of Kansas. I'm finally away from those people and I will never go back. Once I turned 18, I got an apartment and started saving up to go to college.

Now that I've finished, I'm moving to Norchester City. I've always wanted to go ever since my grandmother would tell stories about how she was a dancer in some of the best shows and plays.

She was the only person I've ever had and I feel like I owe it to her to continue her legacy. I love dancing, it helps my nerves because it reminds me of Grandma April.

We used to dance together as she cooked dinner or did the cleaning. I didn't get a lot of time with her but the little time I did get, was amazing and ill cherish every second of it for the rest of my life.

I'll make you proud grandma.

The train comes to a stop and over the loudspeakers, a man's voice echoes. "Norchester City, I repeat, Norchester City." I grab my bags and get off of the train which is crowded with people.

Rochester is one of the biggest and most popular Cities in the world. That's why they have amazing shows, plays, and theatres here.

I make my exit and look around at the train station. Even this is fancy, I think to myself. There are glass buildings and shops everywhere.

I follow the signs that lead to the outside of the station where cars fly on the streets and people walk the streets. Buildings as tall as the sky surround me.

"Wow." a taxi parks by the sidewalk and I run to it before anyone else could. He rolls the window down and puts his arm out of the window, throwing his cigarette on the floor.

"Hi, I'm new here and I need a ride to my apartment."

He cuts me off. "Yea, yea get in the car lady." I'm taken aback by his blunt rudeness but push the anger down and get into the back seat.

"Where to?" he asks taking out his GPS.

I tell him the address of the apartment and he drives. It's extremely expensive to live here but before I moved here I got a job at this nice club and the cheapest apartment I could find.

I know it's not a skyscraper penthouse but it's just until I can get on my feet and then I'll find something better.

As we drive through the city the building become less and less fancy when we reach my new home.

I look up at the building and smile.

Hey, at least it's mine.

"Thank you, sir." I hand him the 40 bucks it hosted to get me here before I grab all of my stuff and exit the car.

As soon as I'm out, he drives away and I walk up the stairs to the complex. I knock on a door that has the words landlord office in bold letters.

A small old woman opens the door. "Hi, my name is Astoria, I spoke to you on the phone about the apartment?" realization crosses her features as she remembers my voice.

"Oh, hello dear. Come on in and ill get your keys and paperwork." she walks into her office and leaves the open for me to come in behind her.

"I was so excited when we made the contract. Not a lot of young people come to apply to live here." she shuffles through her file cabinet before pulling one out with the number 340 on it.

"Whys that?" I ask, curious as to what she means.

"Well you know how it is, people come to Norchester for the flashy expensive part of the city. You know, for parties and climbing and whatnot. This generation cares too much about their reputation." she hands me the file and a set of keys.

"But not you, your different." or maybe I just can't afford the flashy lifestyle.

I smile at her and we leave the office, she shows me my apartment and says "Good luck" before she leaves.

That was weird. I put down all my things and take in my new home.

It's small but for me, it's everything. There's already furniture here which is one of the reasons I chose this place.

The clock on the wall reads 5:30.

"Crap, I'm late for my interview." I grab my purse and lock the door before leaving.

I find a taxi and tell them to go to Havana Nightclub, we make it in less than 4 minutes.

"Oh, I didn't know it was that close." I day and the woman in the front seat just smacks her gum.

Okay, so people here don't like to communicate with other humans. Noted.

I leave the car after paying and walk over to the crosswalk. I look at the building on the other side. The website didn't do this place justice.

Before I know it, I bump into someone and drop my bag with everything spilling out of it. "I'm sorry." I pick up all my things and the stranger helps me.

"Your okay." the deep voice takes me off guard. I stand up and the man stares at me. He is blue eyes look at me with an expression I can't quite place.

"Well I got to-" I point to the club and he nods hesitantly. I smile before walking away.

Who was that? He looked like he has money, one of those rich snobs.

He was probably looking at me because he was judging me. Whatever I'm not here for men, I'm here for my dream.

I'm here for my grandmother.

-little does she know...