II - Reunion

Rhenor wanted to fight back, but as long as he and Kaz had blades against their throats, they weren't going to win this. So, for now, he just let himself be led into a dark, narrow alley that led nowhere. That was smart on their attackers' part because unless Rhenor and Kaz managed to defeat them, there would be nowhere to run.

"What do you want?" Rhenor tried asking, but the woman threatening him with the knife didn't answer and instead only pushed him to go faster until they reached the end of the alley. The smell here was certainly much less pleasant than on the main streets.

As soon as he was pushed forward and the knife left his throat, Rhenor turned around and raised his fists as next to him Kaz collided with the wall with a gasp. Rhenor glared at the man who had caused that.

The two of them didn't look too threatening, despite the knives, but Rhenor wouldn't underestimate them. Their faces were half covered with scarfs, but he could still see that they seemed fairly young—definitely younger than Rhenor's twenty-five years. But when he looked into their eyes, he could tell they weren't young in spirit. Unlike most of the people in Sigallah, these two must have lived through many hardships and worries, not that often seen even in the mountains.

"Who are you?" the man demanded. They were still holding knives towards them, which was the only reason Rhen hadn't drawn his bow. He didn't think he'd manage it fast enough.

"Who are you?" Rhenor snapped back, clenching his fists tighter since he had nothing else to use as a weapon.

"Do you really think we'd tell you? We don't wear these for fun," the woman grumbled, pointing at the scarf over her mouth and nose. "Now, my friend here asked you something. Who are you, and what do you want with Elaya?"

Rhenor frowned, so confused that he put his fists down without really meaning to.

"Well?" the man barked. "Do you work for the dragons?"

These people had a lot of questions, and they didn't even wait for the answers. A very odd approach, in Rhenor's opinion.

"No, of course, we don't. Do we look like their servants?" Rhen couldn't help but sound sarcastic due to how ridiculous and untrue the suspicion was. He just hoped they wouldn't end up with stab wounds because of it.

"Don't lie. Why else would you be looking for Elaya?"

Before Rhenor could reply, Kaz jumped in. "Wait, you know Elaya?"

The two masked attackers exchanged a look while Kaz continued, his voice growing faster and faster as he went. "Is she okay? We've come all the way here to meet with her. I've been so worried about her. Can you take us to—"

"Okay, calm down," the man stopped him, lowering his dagger and raising his hand. Kaz shut up, but it was clear he was having trouble staying still. He didn't look very happy, mostly just worried and anxious, but there seemed to be a spark of hopefulness in his eyes when he looked over at Rhen.

"How do you know Elaya?" the woman asked, looking noticeably more suspicious of them than the man.

"She's my friend. I've known her for twenty years." Kaz's shoulders sank as he said this, looking down at the ground. Rhenor had to admit that this had surprised him. He'd known that Kaz and Elaya were good friends—even just based on what he'd done for her—but twenty years? At most Kaz could be maybe something over twenty, so that meant he and Elaya had known each other for their whole lives.

Rhenor looked over at the man and woman who were still holding their knives out. The man had lowered his, however. He seemed to be about to say something when "They're lying, obviously. They're bounty hunters. Or spies."