nosce hostem

It all came down to politics, in the end.

Her shower did little to relax her and she hadn't managed to sleep before Carlisle arrived. In clean clothes she would never have picked for herself, Bella quietly watched as he exchanged string after string of pleasantries with the three kings, their voices warm and friendly but their words hiding dangerous subliminal meanings. She couldn't blink. She hadn't expected it to go like this, but of course, it would. Stupidly, she thought Carlisle would strut right into the castle and heroically rescue her. Maybe Edward would start a fight, and the three vegetarians would have to throw a few punches before running off with her on their shoulders. Seeing her "rescue" actually happen put everything into perspective for her. No, that's not how things are done.

It was all very diplomatic.

Carlisle did strut right into the castle; that part was just as she had pictured while she anxiously waited for him. He walked in with his usual confidence, holding his head up and smiling his doctor smile - the gentle one you could barely see, accompanied by a slight frown. He could be walking around a hospital looking for a patient, worried about blood test results. She half expected him to breathe out and ask her what happened and how she was feeling while listening to her rapid heartbeats with an unnecessary stethoscope.

He looked at her with the familiar frown, but there was no smile. His thin lips were uncharacteristically turned downwards, making him look more severe than gentle. Her stomach somersaulted at the sight as her mind raced with its possible meaning. It couldn't be good, it did not look good at all.

"Bella will be perfectly safe in here, dear friend. We assure you." Aro was looking down from his throne at his so-called American friend, dismissing his worries and refuting his arguments with ease. "She will be cared for and instructed, and of course, when she is ready, she will be free to leave if she so wishes."

Like her, Alice and Edward watched the exchange in tense silence, looking straight ahead and avoiding glancing at each other. Should she say something? What would happen if she backtracked on her decision? It didn't feel right to let Carlisle do all the talking when he was trying to fix her mess. At the same time, she trusted him to know what to say and to do and feared that her interference would only cause more trouble. Still, she had to take responsibility for her own mistakes, didn't she?

As soon as she decided to interfere, Alice's head snapped in her direction, followed closely by Edward's, and they both stared at her with wide eyes. Edward shook his head as subtly as he could while Alice mouthed a single word, barely separating her lips.

"Don't."

Bella closed her eyes and took a deep, painful breath.

"Of course," she heard Carlisle's polite answer from afar like it was drowned out by water, feeling dizzier and dizzier with each word. "There is no doubt about that. We're only concerned with her comfort. We believe that Bella would feel more comfortable if she went through the transformation with us by her side."

Aro's eyes flashed dangerously.

"I see," he smiled his Cheshire cat smile and gracefully crossed his legs. "In that case, I would suggest one of you stay here with her, or perhaps two of you."

His eyes then wandered to Edward, falling on Alice. Edward clenched his fists and his jaw in undisguised indignation. Alice, however, bit her lip and fidgeted with her leather gloves. Edward growled.

"Alice."

She shook her head, continuing to avoid his gaze. Her eyes met the floor, but Bella was sure they were full of doubt.

"No one is staying," Edward declared. It sounded final, but Alice was bouncing on the balls of her feet, her entire frame shaking with anguish.

"I..."