The Arena

SILIN

He looks scared of me.

He stands motionlessly behind me, almost like a shadow of mine the entire time I splash water onto my ash-stained cheeks. Soon the dirt is clear, and I brush out my dark hair with my fingers before putting it up into a loose bun.

I didn't blame him.

In his perspective, the Princess had just spent over hundreds of gold coins for his sake.

But he didn't realize that he had been the one person who had defended me when I needed it the most.

He deserved more than thousands.

"Can you tell me your name?" I ask, even though I already know it. His head instantly bows deeply to the ground. His hands are behind his back.

"It's— Jimin, Your Highness."

I shake out the rest of the water from my fingertips.

"Jimin." I echo, offering him a smile. "Please. Just call me Silin. We'll be seeing a lot more of each other from now on."

He swallows. Then he hesitates, before finally shaking his head.

"I will call you Highness."

I sigh softly.

"Alright then, Jimin. I—"

"Why did you do that?"

The question is one I'd been expecting. And I quickly put a practiced smile on my face, my gaze urging him to meet my eyes. It wouldn't do if he kept on lowering his eyes like that.

After all, he was going to be my personal servant from now on.

"Because that place isn't where someone as young as you should be working." I say, my eyes flickering up to the clock tower behind his shoulder.

Fifteen minutes, before six.

The auction would start very soon.

There wasn't any time to linger around.

"Jimin, I'm so sorry." I continue. "But I promise I'll explain myself however you want me to later. But right now we'll have to run."

He nods quietly. And his voice is full of soft obedience.

"I'll do whatever you want me to, my lady."

Perfect.

I had less than a quarter hour to get back to the Palace, and get myself ready for the auction that would play the greatest role in my path to vengeance.

It was time to meet Kim Taehyung.

_________________________________

The annual slave auction is the largest event held at the Asura Arena every year. Over thousands of people flock to it, hoping to find either entertainment or a cheap, suitable slave to take back to their homes.

I had always hated the auction.

But now I found myself in it, seated in one of the highest seats that overlook the dusty battlegrounds of the Arena. The seats below fill up so quickly that I can barely skim them all with my eyes.

I look for Han.

And soon I find him. He's across from me, his legs crossed and eyes already scanning the slaves that are being prepared for the auction. His face is handsome in its youth— it's what I had fallen for, being such a stupid girl.