Episode 3

"I talked to Topper," Sarah says. We're lounging out by the pool in our bathing suits with Kaprisuns in our hands. Ward is out right now, so Sarah poured some vodka on hers. I stick with the PG version but don't judge her drink preference.

"Did you?" I ask, sitting up from my towel and propping my sunglasses on my head. 

"Yeah, we worked it out. He said he didn't say anything to my Dad though, so I don't really know who it was," she says with a shrug. I'm still convinced that Topper was the snitch, but I decide not to bring it up. Sarah seems okay, and I'm not gonna be the one to ruin it. 

Thoughts of JJ have been swimming in my mind recently. It's odd, but I can't seem to stop thinking about our encounter in the store. JJ seems so set on hating Kooks. All Kooks except Kiara. She may say she's full Pogue, but she isn't. She gets the perks and benefits of being a Kook, with her nice house and unlimited WiFi, but she gets the title and fun of being of Pogue. But JJ seemed so chill with me at the store, unlike how he usually is to Kooks. I think back to the Kegger where JJ was bothering Sarah, offering her a drink. Sarah's phone rings, interrupting my thoughts of the blonde virus that has recently taken over my mind. Sarah picks it up and flashes the screen at me, showing Topper's name and face.

"Hey, Top," she says and listens to his reply. She looks up at me as she responds, "Yeah, we will meet you at your house." I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion and she holds up a finger. "Okay, bye. Topper invited us to go out on the boat and clean up trash at the beach. He has fun drinks. Better than this shit," she says, gesturing to her Kaprisuns. I nod and hop up, downing my drink and throwing the trash in my bag. We don't litter. There's enough trash in the planet and oceans already.

We hop in my jeep and set off to Topper's house. We decided it would be fun to take the doors off a while back, so the wind is deafening. We have the radio cranked up as loud as it can go, and we yell along to the lyrics. Arriving at Topper's house, we see him standing by his boat, a cooler in his hand. When we get closer, he opens the cooler and tosses a can of rootbeer to me.

"Oh, you are just amazing!" I say, opening it immediately. I see Sarah smile at him, happy with his kind gesture and he pecks her on the cheek.

"Let us go, children," he says and hops on the boat, reaching a hand out to help us on.

"Thank you," Sarah says. Topper's parents bought him a very expensive boat. According to Topper, it's rated number one in performance and quality. It's just the life of being disgustingly rich- you have to spend your money on something. Charity is always good, but boats work too, I guess.

"Let's get her going," he says and pulls the boat away from the dock. I take my usual place on the very very front of the boat, fully accepting that if I fell off, the boat would drive right over me and possibly result in my unfortunate death. I sip on my rootbeer and swing my legs over the side. Topper is standing up, hugging Sarah to his side. They have their own private conversation, which I'm perfectly fine with. I like waving to boats passing by and people on their docks.

"Hi, Ms. Lowery!" I shout to the sweet old lady.

"Oh, hi dear!" She waves back, "She is just the nicest girl," She says to her husband. He laughs and pats her on the shoulder, giving me, Topper, and Sarah a quick wave.

"Everyone in this town knows you, Rain," Topper says from behind me.

"That's because I'm actually likable and I leave an impression," I tease and he scoffs behind me.

"Yeah, yeah. Oh, this is just fantastic," he says sarcastically and I turn to look at him. I see him glaring at something past my shoulder and I turn to see what he's staring at. John B and his crew are on a boat of their own, going in the opposite direction of us. Part of me wants to look back at Sarah and see how she is feeling, but my eyes are locked on JJ's. He's pretty far away but our eye contact isn't mistakable. Neither is the wink and small grin he gives me. His shirt is off, with a black shark tooth necklace hanging on his neck. His abs are noticeable and annoyingly attractive. I give a small wave and watch as he straightens up and discretely flexes and a laugh escapes my mouth. He smiles in return, causing Kiara's eyes to dart towards me in disgust and I quickly look away. No need to get JJ in trouble. I face forward once their boat is behind us, and I feel someone come up behind me.