Chapter 16

"What? What happened to her?" Odessa asked, clearly confused.

"A former student tried to kill her with dark magic," I told her in a low tone.

She gasped and covered her mouth in surprise.

"Let me see her immediately!" She exclaimed, running into the infirmary before stopping at the door.

"Your highness... Aren't you coming in?" She asked worriedly.

I clenched my fists. Madeline's condition would act up again if she sees me...

"No, you go ahead," I told her as she smiled.

But something was off about that smile. She looked worried but just for a moment... I don't know what crossed her mind but it looked to me like... She was amused...

After what seemed like forever, Odessa came out, cold sweat beading her forehead.

"She's finally in a stable condition and should be up by tomorrow," Odessa smiled tiredly.

"... Thank you..." I smiled.

Odessa never asked anything in return when she did things for me. So I was surprised to hear her request.

"Your highness... I rarely ask for anything in return but... This was extremely challenging for me and I have but one favor," she told me, embarrassed.

"... What is it?" I ask, no emotions showing.

"I want you and Lady Madeline to be paired up at the next monster hunt," she smiled as I faltered.

"The monster hunt? In her condition?" I asked with a slight glare.

"I've healed all her scars except one," she told me, pointing to her head.

"It's something that not even magic can fix. Believe me when I say that keeping Madeline by your side at all times is within yours and Madeline's intrests. You rarely see her at all here, but the monster hunt lasts 3 months," she explained.

I nodded my head.

"Sorry for my behavior. I've been on edge ever since the healers had a hard time with her," I explained as she smiled kindly.

"I understand. I hope you and lady Madeline can grow closer, and I'm excited to attend your wedding!" She said, all bubbly.

I smile slightly at the thought.

"Are you sure... You're alright?" I asked her.

"Of course, no one is as compatible with lady Madeline as you are. Don't let go of her. She's very special," she told me with a bright smile.

Her voice was soft and seemed to echo in my mind, it was almost hypnotic. I shook it off then returned her smile.

"I won't," I answered.

-------------------

I walked away from the prince with a frown.

I have to be more discreet when trying to kill her, if not that Eloise will hunt me till the ends of the earth.

And If I can't kill her, then at least I can drive a nail through that mage's heart using the prince.

I wasn't lying when I said I'd enjoy being at the wedding of the cursed prince and the person Eloise seems to treasure so much.

The look of despair and heartbreak on his face will be quite the treat.

And while he's busy chasing down the prince's fiancé, I'll have more room to move.