UNVEILED

CHAPTER 1: UNVEILED

[At Aisha Ncube's house in Mt Pleasant, Salisbury;
in the kitchen]

"Pass me that knife and a table spoon." Aisha speaks to her daughter for the first time since the court session. The daughter takes appropriate action. "Zvikomborero, what are you doing just standing around aimlessly?" A teenage boy, 1.75m in height, enters the kitchen. "Austin, you know I hate that name. Call me Cherise. Mabhunu awa haazorigone rekuti Zvikomborero. (Shona interpretation for;- "These white people cannot say Zvikomborero properly")

Aisha: I gave you that name.
Cherise: What were you thinking?
Aisha: I was drunk.

They all have a quick laugh.

Austin: Mom, I hope you did not forget about our school tuition fees.
Cherise: Yes, I was getting to that.
Aisha: I did not forget. But we don't have anything right now. Maybe i can work part time but it would still be hard to pay for your fees, pay bills and get food on the table.
Austin: So, what's the way forward.
Aisha: I might have to sell the house. I can buy another smaller one in the ghettos.
Austin: You can't sell the house mom.
Cherise: For sure, you can not be considering that.
Austin: You know dad is coming back right?
Aisha: Yes, he will understand.
Cherise: You don't need three cars. Sell one.
Aisha: I am selling those cars since your father has to pay some compensations. I have already talked to some of our neighbors and the deals have been made.

The next morning Aisha went to Mr Littlewood's office in Salisbury CBD. At this point she was just thinking about the future of her kids.

John: Good morning Mrs Ncube.
Aisha: Good morning Mr Littlewood, how are you?
John: I am good. You thought about it, didn't you?
Aisha: Yes, I did.
John: And?
Aisha: I will give you temporary custody of them.
John: Good! You are obviously still the parent and my wife and I are just the guardians.
John pulls out a booklet of paperwork.

"Sign here and here, and here." He says as he points at some blank spaces.

Aisha: Don't I need a lawyer for this?
John: For what? You think I would steal your kids? You can read it if you want.
Aisha: Give me another copy.

"Sign this one as well." He pulls out another copy.
Aisha signs the papers and opens the door to leave.
"I am coming to take them after I am done here. That is around 4pm." Littlewood extends the conversation.
"Is that okay?"

Aisha: It's okay.

Aisha gets home.
Austin: Mom! Did you buy milk?

"And juice!" Cherise barks from the other room.

Aisha: I didn't have the time for all that.
Austin: So what were you doing?

"Hezvo! Huyai pano mese!" She calls them for a meeting.

Aisha: Pack everything you own. From today onwards you will be staying with Mr Littlewood.
Austin: What!
Cherise: Why!
Aisha: Its for your own good. He asked to take care of you. Go pack your things he is coming at 4.
Austin: You sold us to the white man.
Cherise: Hazvizizvo zvakafira Nyakasikana na Kaguvi izvi. (Shona interpretation of;- "This is not what our ancestors died for.")
Aisha: This is what's best for you and you will be going to a good school, St George's.

"Oh amazing." Austin delivers a healthy dose of sarcasm. "White people school."

Cherise: This is how slavery began. He will have us ploughing his land and herding cattle by next week.
Aisha: End of discussion!

"Arghhh!" Cherise expresses her fury as she walked out and bangs all the doors behind her.
Austin just looks at his mother and shakes his hand with an expression of disappointment.