XV

THE CALL WAS MADE. They arrived at the Canadian border services agency in under twenty minutes. Sometime around the fifteen-minute mark, the car that had been chasing them quietly dropped off their radar, perhaps realizing where they were headed. That at least confirmed for her that they were not in any danger from rogue American humans at this specific border crossing.

Upon their arrival, Lord Dante and Yvanna were kept under tight supervision for the next five hours. They were interrogated by border patrol as to why they were there and why there were blood stains in the truck, but Lord Dante had told Yvanna not to say anything and so she stayed tight-lipped. There was only one vampire at the agency, who wasn't much involved in their case, but at least there was one. Before long, there were two, with Royce arriving promptly by way of helicopter and car. He confirmed his identity, and then theirs, and it was not long before they were released.

They took a car to Duluth and then a helicopter ride to Rockford, where Soren was waiting. Yvanna felt almost sick with relief as she inhaled the familiar fresh scent of polish that was Soren's car. On the drive back to the Romaniello estate, Soren fretted over Lord Dante, asking him if he was hurt or sick or hungry and so forth. Lord Dante insisted he was fine, sparing Yvanna an inquisitive glance to check that she was as well, to which she confirmed with a nod.

The car slowed into the driveway and security opened the gates. Soren drove up to the garage, but stopped just short of going inside. The car doors opened and Royce stepped out, offering a hand to Lord Dante. "My lord, if you'll come with me. Your father is eager to see you."

Lord Dante accepted his hand and they walked into the garage. Yvanna went to follow him, until she felt firm hands close around her arms. She glanced to each side, seeing that it was Lord Riccardo's men who held her back. "What is it?" she asked them. Their faces were blank and their eyes unreadable, allowing her no room to analyze their intentions.

Upon hearing her question, Lord Dante stopped. He turned back, his expression puzzled. "Wait. What's this about?" He took a step forward, but Royce put a hand against his chest, preventing him from going any further.

"We just need to ask her a few questions," Royce assured him. "You can head on inside."

"I don't see why you can't ask them later." Lord Dante turned to the men who restrained her. "See her to her room and call a doctor," he ordered.

They did not move, and Lord Dante frowned.

"My lord," Royce said gently. "You've been gone for nearly two weeks. Your father would like to see you immediately. Please don't make him wait any longer. We will call a doctor and you can see your minder later, if you so wish."

"I'll be fine, my lord," Yvanna supplied. "I should tell them everything we know if we want to catch the people who attacked us."

Lord Dante surveyed her for a few seconds, before plucking Royce's hand off his jacket and fixing him with a hard look. "I do wish it. Make sure she's treated at once."

He turned around and entered the house, with Royce following closely behind. Yvanna allowed herself to be dragged away. They took her west towards the archery range, entering an equipment shed and closing the door behind them. One of the men pressed a cleverly concealed button behind a shelf and the floor opened, revealing a set of stairs.

Yvanna's unease grew as they led her down. When she saw the steel bars of a holding cell, she felt the hairs on the back of her neck rise swiftly. Still, she did not make a noise of protest as they tossed her in one of the cages. Neither did they, as they looped a rope through a metal fixture in the ceiling and strung her up by her hands. The tips of her shoes barely grazed the floor, and it did not take long for the strain on her arms to begin to weigh on her.