Chapter Two: GAVIN

It was just shy of my tenth birthday when my family was told my father had been killed in action. I remembered, I was taken out of class, along with my twin sister. In the main office of my elementary school, there awaited a naval officer and my mother. Seeing my mother in such a broken state was all I needed to prepare myself for the news that was to come.

My father was a second-generation marine, and he was on a tour of duty in Iraq when a bomb fell over his troop; killing most of the men. Including my father. He received a Purple Heart after he was injured during his second tour while protecting a fallen marine. Ever since my father was killed, I vowed to complete what my father once started. By my senior year of high school, I was as ready as I would ever be. Was I scared? Terrified, actually. Was I going to back out? Hell no.

The career fair was an annual event at my school, that I never gave much thought to. Until now. I didn't know much, but what I knew was that booths representing the military were at the career fair every year. And those booths were packed by the time I got there. While I awaited in the line for the Marine Corp booth, a young marine handed out pamphlets to the entire line.

My friend, Lance, walked up to me after what felt like forever of standing in that line. Lance had been my best friend since we were five and we bonded growing up over the fact that both our fathers were in the marines. His father left due to serious injury a year after my own father was killed. For years, Lance and I discussed joining the Corp together.

"A lot of people want to join the military this year," I told Lance almost immediately after he arrived. Looking at him, I could see that he was also holding a pamphlet along with a few papers. "Did you already go up?"

He nodded and showed me the papers. "Yeah, and I have all the information suited for me right here." He took a moment to look at the expanding line. "Now is definitely the best time to join the military. The world is desperate right now." He nudged an elbow into my ribs. "And don't get me started on the amazing benefits."

I stifled a laugh and smacked him with the pamphlet. "What should I expect from these guys?" I asked, motioning my head towards the two marines seated behind the table.

Lance let out a low whistle. "Carradoras is brutal. He makes this whole thing feel like a fever dream. Hernandez isn't much better. All you have to do is stand up straight and show determination."

"Thanks, man," I said and patted his chest. The two guys were young but intimidating. Especially the one wearing a badge that read CARRADORAS. Their hair was buzzed to almost nothing and they weren't sitting like the people at the other booths. They stood firm, with their arms behind their backs, as if they were on base.

"I'm guessing you're interested in joining the Marines," Hernandez said as a form of greeting once I reached the front of the line.

My book bag strap slipped down my shoulder as I tried to stand tall in front of them. "Yes, I am, sir."

"This isn't like the movies, kid," Carradoras said, informality. "It will get ugly out there and not everyone can handle it."

My hand went absentmindedly towards the silver dog tag hanging from my neck. It was the only thing I had left of my father. Everything else went to my mother. That dog tag, he wore it the day he was killed. It's a painful reminder of why I'm doing all this. "I come from a line of marines. I know I can handle this."

Hernandez took notice of my hand fidgeting with my dog tag. "Is that your tag?" he asked me, tilting his chin at my dog tag.

I stopped my fidgeting and moved my hand to my backpack strap, easing it on my shoulder. "Uh, it was my dad's. He was killed in combat a few years ago."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Hernandez said, giving his sympathy. "What was his name?"

I shifted on my feet. "David Ridgeway."

"I remember him," Hernandez said. "I first met him when he received his purple heart shortly after I enlisted." His lips turned down into a frown. "He was a great man."

"Thank you," I stuttered, not knowing what else to say.

"You're eighteen, right?" Carradoras asked and I nodded. "Okay, just fill out these papers and send them to the base. Make sure you read over the pamphlets, brochures, terms and conditions before you sign anything. War is hell, son."

I nodded. "I understand. Thank you."

Lance was on me once again once I left the booth. He had golden retriever energy. "How'd it go?" he asked me eagerly.

I held up everything they gave me. "Good, I guess. I got to just look over this stuff. But I'm already positive that I want to do this."

"How about Carradoras?" Lance asked, looking over my shoulder. "Did he make you want to crawl into a rabbit hole, never to be seen again? Because, same."

I chuckled, hitting his chest with the pamphlets and brochures. "Well, there always has to be a bad cop." Carradoras may had been tough, but he didn't sugarcoat war. I learned long ago that war was ugly and it took a brave person to fight in it.

"He scared me."

Lance's golden retriever energy made him semi-vulnerable. Which he had to work at before being shipped to another country to fight in war.

"I've got to bounce," he told me before I had a moment to reply. "I have a meeting with the guidance counselor. About my future or some shit." He gave me a pat on the chest. "I'll see you at lunch."

"See you there."

He didn't hear me. He was too in a rush. I knew our guidance counselor was scary and hated when students were late for meetings.

Running a finger over my dad's dog tag, I went towards the gym door, leading to the hallway.

Getting bumped around at this school wasn't uncommon. But getting bumped so hard that I lost grip of all the pamphlets and brochures in my hands wasn't. Getting bumped by a beautiful girl was even more unlikely.