chapter 5

When I awoke, I was waken up to immediately hear the screeches of the Nadders and roars of Nightmares. Dragon god, what's the issue? Do we have a problem or something? Seems like the the pack is all awake, they just haven't moved at all. I look over and see the Nadders picking a fight with the Nightmares, or it's likely the other way around. I let out a groan and some of the Grim Gnashers turn to look at me with worried looks. They should be worried, it's too early for fighting, I say that like I have 6 hatchlings I'm taking care of.

I let out a roar to let them know that I am awake and ready to solve their obvious problem with each other. They quiet down and some turn to me but the eldest Nadder and who I assume is the eldest Nightmare, are still fighting which causes a chain reaction and they continue fighting. I let out a low hiss, sounding like a tired groan, it looks like even the deep sleepers of the pack are awaking because of the noise. By deep sleepers, I mean Jewel and Gem, those two snore a lot in their sleep.

I look over the edge to see the Bewilderbeast still sleeping, or maybe he's ignoring the noise with his eyes closed. Either way, I'm jealous because he isn't aware of the problem this could do. This could cause weariness and aggression between all Nadders and Nightmares in the Sanctuary. Aggression and weariness turn to fights and fear, which is bad feelings all around. I grunt which calls Gruff over, worry in his eyes, even though he is blind. Gruff was always an emotional type of dragons, I don't know if it was because he is a Hobblegrunt or it was just his personality.

"Worried?" Gruff cooed to me, nuzzling me as he sits next to me. I sigh as I look down towards the area where the Bewilderbeast rests. "Are we just going to be adding to the pack because dragons look for protection or kindness?" Gruff looks confused at my question, tilting his head a bit. "Isn't that the point? An alpha protects their pack." I sigh, I'm worried that the only reason dragons will join our pack is because they think a 'Dragon Killer' will protect them from anything. I stand up and turn towards the fighting packs, the Nadders are putting up a strong fight but the only the best humans go after the Nightmares for a reason.

I open my mouth with a loud hiss and spit out my acid in front of both packs to separate them. It works and both packs steps away from the fire that the acid caused, hisses and growls coming from both sides. I walk over to the leader Nadder with my tail curled and stinger extracted. She looks irritated and she could attack at any moment. "Hey-" I barely even get to say anything before she whips her head around to face me and breathes her fire at me. I cover my head with my wings and I can feel the heat of her fire.

Well at least I was ready and didn't get some fire to the face. She eventually stops breathing her fire at me, which I would have believed she would have done sooner if she noticed it was me. I move my wing a bit so I can see her, she looks antsy and is backing away towards her pack. She looks back at me every once and a while and I can see her flinch everytime she sees that I'm still staring at her. She wasn't this antsy when she encountered us last night, what happened?

I coo towards her and retract my tail to make myself look less intimidating. It think it might have worked because she stopped backing away. "What happened?" I say in a soft hiss, careful to not make her more antsy or wary than before. "The eggs....." She whimpers. The eggs, the eggs they were carrying, I can see that they don't have them anymore so that isn't good. Either the Nightmares have them, which is the most viable option, or....their dead. I visibly shivered at the thought of having to see eggs that had baby dragons in them.

If you had asked 14 year old me, I would have ate the eggs no problem, probably tell you that they wouldn't be able to feel it since they weren't alive yet. If you asked me now, I would puke up my own stomach before I would even get close enough to try. Those are actual hatchlings, still in their eggs, why would any dragon do something like that? Survival, that's why. Survival of the fittest, a harsh but easy way to find out how much the world is going to throw at you so you can survive to be the strongest. I would know since I did so the moment I hatched and 14 years of my life.