4th of july

My eyes open the next morning, and there's still a smile printed on my face.

I sit up in bed and start scrolling on my phone, and suddenly there's a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I yell.

Conrad swings the door open and walks in.

"Good morning!" Hi grins as I move to sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You're in a good mood." I smile.

"Obviously." He smiles as he leans down, and pulls me into a kiss. "Happy fourth."

Today was the fourth of July, and every summer Susannah had a big Fourth of July party with tons and tons of fireworks.

"Happy fourth." I smile.

"You wanna light off fireworks with me and Jer?" He asks.

"Of course." I grin. "Is your dad coming."

"I think." He sighs. "For once."

I stand up and we face each other, looking into each other's eyes.

"Maybe he'll be better." I shrug as I run my hands through his hair.

He puts his hands on my waist and pulls me into another kiss.

Every kiss surprised me even more.

Later in the day when the party was going, My family, The Fisher's, including Connie and Jer's dad, Adam, and a few of Belly and Jer's friends were all say around the bonfire waiting for it to get dark for fireworks.

I had always loved fireworks, ever since I was young.

"How'd the ball go?" Adam asks.

"Amazing." Susannah smiles.

"Jeremiah, you went with Isabel right?" Adam asks.

"Yeah I did." Jeremiah says as him and Belly smile at each other.

"And Conrad, you went with Val right?" Adam asks.

"Mhm." Conrad replies.

I look at Conrad, and he's just staring lifelessly into the fire, like his dad took all positive emotions out of him.

"Now is she your little girlfriend?" Adam asks.

I look at Conrad and smile.

Only to have it drop in seconds.

"No, we're just friends." Conrad says.

My eyes well with tears. Was that all I was to him? Just a friend he can hook up with.

Everyone goes silent. Conrad looks at me, but I refuse to look at him. I just look at Steven sadly, who looks at me shocked, like he wanted to beat Conrad up.

"H-hey uh Val, do you wanna come with me to grab the fireworks from inside the house?" Steven asks.

"Oh we already brought them out." My mom smiles.

"We can just go check to make sure we got everything." I smile as me and Steven get up, and walk into the house.

We walk in and move away from the windows overlooking the bonfire, and Steven hugs me, and I cry into his arms.

"I'm not good enough for him, I never will be." I cry.

"Don't say that Val." He whispers as he hugs me tighter. "Never say that."

"We made out steven! We've kissed, we made our last night, we hold hands, how does he still see me as just a friend?" I sob.

Conrad had come into my room at midnight and explained he needed my touch, where we ended up making out on my bed.