Chapter 7

Dawn couldn't pay attention to her surroundings. She had no clue what was going on or who had just taken her. The only thing she knew was that she could trust these people to take her away, that much she did know. 

It was what her instinct told her, to trust these people, and her instinct was the only thing that kept her alive during her stay here. It was her instinct that gave warning signs about the people she interacted with. It was her instinct that told her when she needed to behave in order to survive. So, this time it was no different and Dawn dared to rely on these people.

The pain, which she had temporarily forgotten, shot right back and it was hard not to scream out of pain. Dawn bit hard on her lower lip as her wheelchair hobbled over the broken concrete ground. When she was tilted in a jeep she couldn't contain herself anymore. A loud shrill of agony escaped, shortly followed by vomit.

"Fucking hell," The guy cursed lowly, not wanting to upset the girl he was helping. He yelled out for somebody and soon the woman from before appeared. She got the message and got some wipes from the passenger compartment in the front. 

Quickly it was cleaned up and Dawn overheard the woman saying, "We are done searching, she was the last one, we can go whenever everything and everyone is ready." The guy nodded his head and closed the door.

When he entered the car by the driver's seat Dawn had a hard time keeping her eyes open. The adrenaline had left her body and the pain had amplified. The last thing she registered was the other cars leaving and the car she was in starting and then everything turned black.

* * *

Dawn woke up to a familiar sound, the sound of a heart monitor constantly beeping. Beep. Beep. Beep. For a moment she thought she had dreamt everything. That none of it was true. That Jack didn't die. That she hadn't escaped. That she hadn't vomited all over herself. 

However, without even opening her eyes, she knew she had escaped. The pain was gone. Well. Almost gone.

Slowly Dawn opened her eyes and was met by a room that was familiar to those in a hospital. But it mostly reminded her of the room. It mostly contained hospital equipment and tools plus four hospital beds and one exam table. It was a typical hospital wing of a pack, still, Dawn wanted to leave this place sooner rather than later.

She lay there in silence (with the exception of the beeping heart monitor). Dawn had no idea how long it was. The longer she was there in that room the more anxious she got. Was she safe? Did she heal? Was this even real? It felt too good to be true. She had to do something. Just as she was ready to get up a woman entered the room that looked like a hospital room but shared more characteristics with the room but wasn't the room.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Dawn just looked at her. "Your body needs rest, a lot of it. You, my dear," Dawn cringed at that, "went through a lot of trauma, according to all the lab results and the x-rays. But I guess they don't even tell the full story." The last bit the woman said more to herself.

Dawn didn't know how to respond. She didn't know this woman, she didn't know what her personality was and so she kept quiet. Besides she wore a doctor's coat and Dawn didn't have the best experience with doctors. Therefore she remained careful and observed. The mystery woman continued, "When they brought you in it became clear to us they had removed parts of your bones in both your legs, your right femur and your left tibia, and your right arm, your humerus. Also, there were still amounts of wolfsbane and silver in your system." 

Dawn didn't care which bone they took and which one they left alone. She didn't want to hear this, she had experienced this already once, she didn't need to experience it another time. "Also we have come across some big and thick scars which is, of course, surprising. If you are able to I want to go over these scars so I can make sure..."