Chapter Seven

"We're going to do what?"

Yu Jielan pulled Shu Haolin to the side, her cool, slender fingers leaving behind goosebumps in their wake. "Latest investigations have uncovered a place that we think is one of the hidden locations of the Baiyu Alliance. If you would like, you may come along."

"Latest investigations? How come I haven't heard anything about this?"

"It's top secret in the Yu Sect. But I thought... I thought..." Yu Jielan seemed unable to finish her sentence and changed the subject instead. "I heard that you passed out a couple of days ago. Are you feeling well enough to go?"

"Of course," Shu Haolin interjected quickly. She jumped up and down and ran in a circle, doing her best to dispel that notion in Yu Jielan's mind. She didn't realize that her behavior was unnecessary until she noticed the strange expression on Yu Jielan's expression—a part bewildered, another part surprised, and overall, the faint glow of a smile touched the corners of her eyes. Shu Haolin felt her cheeks turn slightly pink, and she coughed. "Really. I'm fine," she added, lifting her head a little to fix her composure.

Yu Jielan nodded wordlessly, and she pressed her lips together, seeming to be controlling herself. Shu Haolin's gaze darted around, and she cleared her throat. "Then, I'll see you tomorrow."

***

The cellar door opened silently, the ladder underneath illuminated for only a brief period before being swallowed into the darkness of the tunnel. Yu Jielan kept one hand on her sword and the other held a candle, peering downwards silently. She exchanged a glance with the small group around them and handed the candle off, starting to climb downward. Shu Haolin followed, her hand gripped tightly to the sword she'd borrowed for the occasion. It felt slightly heavy to the grip, and as she descended into the darkness, the air becoming hard to breathe, she felt her head swim briefly upon jumping off onto the damp ground of the tunnel. The candle, while it illuminated the ground right in front of them, seemed to make the darkness even darker.

Yu Jielan glanced around wordlessly and proceeded in silence. At first, the only sound in the dark tunnel was the sound of their footsteps crunching on the tightly packed gravel. Then, they all stopped and blew out the candle when they heard voices from up ahead. They sounded muffled, accompanied by the welcome, cool breeze of fresh air. The group proceeded even more slowly, their hands on their swords, ready to fight at any moment.

The tunnel opened up into a wide cavern flooded with light. The entire group lingered at the entrance, listening and evaluating their chances. Judging by the voices, it sounded like there weren't a lot of people inside the cavern. Shu Haolin's grip on her sword tightened.

Yu Jielan whispered, "take prisoners and leave them alive."

Before the people inside could wonder at what the abrupt sound had come from, the entire group charged into the cavern, taking down the few members of the Baiyu Alliance who were hidden inside. Shu Haolin pressed her sword against one person's neck. In the firelight that flooded the cavern, her eyes seemed almost to burn red.

"Speak," Yu Jielan said coldly. It had a fiercer bite than her normal cool tone, and any listener would inadvertently get goosebumps from the sound. "What's hidden here?"

"I don't know," the guy she had caught wailed, "I'm just a small fry, I don't know anything! I just run errands for them, I really don't know anything."

Yu Jielan disregarded his words, "why did the Baiyu Alliance suddenly reappear on the jianghu? Who's behind this motive?"

"I don't know! I was recruited a year ago, my family was hit upon difficult times, and they offered help. I really don't know anything!"