011 to reconnect

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

To say Ariadne was nervous would be an understatement. Her hands were sweating and her legs almost wobbled. A cafe in London, that's the location she got from a letter. A small cafe in the corner of the city. She currently walked alongside Theseus in silence. Their track record of talking to each other with no malice wasn't looking so good. Ariadne would have liked to blame it on the stress of everything but deep down, she knew it was much bigger than that.

"Ariadne," she looked up at Theseus, her eyes connecting with his. There was a moment of clarity, a peace as she stared at him. Her nerves were long forgotten and a distant memory of them together danced through her mind, "You're shaking," he commented softly.

"It's nothing," he opened his mouth to say something, maybe to suggest that she back out. But there was no backing out now. She couldn't. Not now, "You should go now," they had neared the cafe, this was part of their plan. Instead of saying what he wanted to say, he closed his mouth and nodded. They parted ways and Ariadne was left alone.

This is it.

Table number 12, that was their response. She tilted her hat to the side, making sure no one could see her eyes. Scanning the cafe, she could spot aurors stationed around. A man walked in too, he glanced at Ariadne for a second too long and sat down at a table close by, not too close though. She could still tell it was Theseus, seeing right through his polyjuice disguise.

It was a pity they turned out like this, she thought to herself. Golden and pure memories turned into harsh and unforgiving ones. Before she could think about it further, someone sat at her table.

"You," Ariadne let out, her voice full of anger.

Cressida Nott sat on the other side of the small round table. Her face covered by an extravagant hat while her hair was neatly tied back. With a quick flick of her wand, she blocked out any eavesdroppers.

"10 years without speaking to me. Then a letter. Imagine my surprise," she retorted back, staring at the daughter she once knew.

"You did that to yourself," Ariadne replied bitterly.

"What do you want?"

"What do I want?" Ariadne mocked, "What does he want? Why did he send Flint to find me?"

"You've become quite interesting to him," Cressida started, slowly stirring her cup of coffee and Ariadne tried to hide her unease.

"Maybe you should tell him I'm nothing special. You would know best," she quipped and Cressida inhaled sharply, "Why did he send you?"

"Hate to burst your bubble but I offered myself," she took her eyes off her hot-headed daughter and sipped her drink.

"Was it worth it? Choosing him over your daughter?" Ariadne's eyes bored into her mother's.

"You wouldn't understand."

"Yes, I really wouldn't."

"A letter," she slid the paper across the glass table, clearly done with this conversation. It was lined with gold tips and sealed with wax. Embodied into the dark green wax - was the letter 'G' with decorative flowers around it. Ariadne straightened as she opened the letter.

Dear Miss Ariadne Nott

217 Elmwood Avenue, noon, next Tuesday.

I look forward to meeting you for the first time.

Gellert Grindelwald.

"Will he show up this time?" Ariadne asked snarkily, folding the letter.

"Most certainly," Cressida narrowed her eyes at her daughter, acidity in her tone.

"Alone?"

"Only if you do the same," Cressida added and there it was, the nervous shiver that ran up Ariadne's spine. Everyone had heard about the cruelty of Grindelwald and the magical strength he possessed. Going alone would secure her safety, but with her team, capturing him would secure everyone's safety.

"Oh, I picked up this from Passel the other day," Ariadne placed the pocket watch on the table and watched as Cressida's eyes went wide while she tried to calm her mind, "Thought your husband might want it back."

"How did you get that?" The pocket watch sat in front of Cressida.

"I was going to ask you about it," Ariadne answered calmly.

"He didn't kill Passel," Cressida's fingers curled upon the edge of the table.

"Which one are we talking about?" Ariadne feigned confusion, having fun with this moment.

"Your father didn't."

"My father probably planned it," Ariadne shot back, "Have you mourned for the Cycads yet? Why is it that everyone in his inner circle is now dead?"

"You have no right to ask me this," though it came out weaker than Cressida would have liked.

"Is he behind it? Or is he next?" that was all she needed to say to make Cressida's mouth shut firmly.

"You have your letter. There's nothing more I can give you," Ariadne's mother quickly got up, glaring at her daughter, "Where did I ever go wrong with you?"

"I can give you the list if you want," Ariadne ribbed and Cressida sighed.

"Goodbye Ariadne," there was a cool autumn breeze that wafted through. Ariadne watched as her mother left, leaving the pocket watch behind - an act of defiance maybe. The young woman played with the gold watch in her hand, replaying the conversation she just had, hoping to find any loopholes and hidden meanings that she might have missed.

[890 words]

a/n

the pictures up the top may be the brightest they've ever been 

kjlyds