Round 6 - Out into the Storm

Prompt: Adventure and Action mash-up
Word Count: 1150-1200

***

Kelda huddled by the fire. She'd thrown a heavy shawl over her shoulders, but that did little to stop the shivers.

Light flashed outside, spilling in through the cracks around her shuttered window. She looked up just in time for a thunderous roar to rip through the heavens. It was followed by a torrential rain that beat against the cabin, loud enough to drown out the crackling of the fire.

She thought she heard a whinny from outside and winced. Poor Soona. The draft mare had a little lean-to shelter, but Kelda worried the wind would blow it down.

She leaned forward to add another log to the fire. The orange flames received it eagerly.

More light flickered outside. She waited for the accompanying thunder, but instead, someone pounded on her door. A male voice called from outside, loud enough to be heard above the lashing wind and rain.

"Is anyone there? Hallo!"

Eyes wide, she leaped from her chair. Her rifle was leaning next to her bed, so she snatched it up, along with a round from the shelf above it. Kelda fed the cartridge into the rifle's chamber, before snapping it closed. She cautiously approached the door, holding the rifle ready in one hand.

Against her better judgment, she flipped the latch and opened her door. Immediately, wind and rain lashed against her face and clothing, and a tall figure staggered into her cabin.

"Thank you," he gasped, and promptly pitched forward.

She gasped in alarm as he collapsed on the floor, even as a flash of light illuminated the entire sky, turning night into day for just a moment. Thunder cracked not even a second later.

It spurred her into action. Kelda slammed the door shut, latched it, and set her rifle against the wall. Then she hurried to the stranger's side.

He was soaked to the bone, his dark hair plastered to his mahogany skin. It caught her off guard, because she'd never seen such dark skin. For a moment, she simply stared.

Then she hesitantly poked his shoulder.

He didn't move. His closed eyes, rimmed with long black lashes, didn't even flutter. She held a finger under nose and felt a soft puff of air. Still breathing, then.

With a frown, she rolled him onto his back. For a man out in a storm, he was poorly prepared. No cloak, no covering, and even more strangely—no shoes. In fact, he was only attired in loose cotton trousers and a long under-tunic. Soaked as they were, they clung to him. She would have blushed if her attention hadn't immediately been captured by the small hole surrounded by a large red stain.

"Oh my." She knew a bullet wound when she saw one.

Using the light of the fire, she quickly got to work. She got some water boiling, before carefully cutting open his tunic. The bullet had gone straight through him, so all she had to do was clean it up and suture it. She was applying a poultice made of comfrey and plantain when the man awoke. His eyes snapped open and he grabbed her wrist, trapping her hand against his belly.

She froze.

"Who are you?" He stared up at her with strange, honey-colored eyes.

"Kelda," she said, resisting the urge to look at her rifle. It was out of reach, anyway.

"Where is this?"

"My cabin. You knocked on my door." Her fingers flexed instinctively. His skin felt hot. "Can you let me go, please?"

At once, his gaze flickered down between them. Slowly, his grip relaxed, allowing her to pull free.

"Thank you. I just finished stitching you up, so take it easy."

A furrow dug between his brows. It made his features more intense, and, Kelda realized with some dismay, rather handsome. There was a rustle of movement as he tried to get up, staggering with obvious weakness.

She hurried to support him. "You shouldn't be moving. Look, you can use my bed-"

"No." He pulled away from her. "I can't stay here. I have to go."

"In the storm?" Kelda shook her head. The worst of it had passed, but she could still hear the rain coming down in torrents. "That's a bad idea. You already have a fever."

The stranger stumbled towards the door. "Doesn't matter. They're coming, and if they find me here, they'll kill you, too."

"Who's they?" Kelda stepped in his way.

He towered over her, frustration twisting his expression. For a second, she thought he'd lash out at her, but he didn't. Instead, his gaze settled on her face, heavy and sharp.

"The Inquistorias," he said.

The word brought an instant spike of dread, followed by a wave of fear. The Inquistorias were here? If this man was their target, then...

Kelda swallowed.

"I see. Hold on." She went to her bed, grabbed the blanket, and ripped it free. She tossed it at the stranger. "Wrap up in that. I don't have any men's clothes for you."

He blinked in surprise, before doing as told. She flew around her cabin, collecting a heavy outer shawl, a bag full of rations and herbs, and another with her hunting knives and spare ammunition. Then, under his curious stare, she went to the door and picked up her rifle.

"All right," she said. "Let's go."

There was that intense furrow again. "You mean-"

"Yes," She interrupted. "You won't get far like that. And like you said, if the Inquistorias are after you, it won't be long before they find me. I'm not taking chances with their kind. So, let's go."

With that, Kelda pulled open the door and marched out into the rain.

Soona was dozing in her lean-to, completely unbothered by the fading storm. Her ears flickered at their approach, and she nickered a gentle greeting.

"Hey girl," Kelda whispered. She flung a heavy blanket over the mare's back, before attaching a lead to the halter. With a gentle tug, she led the draft horse out of her shelter.

The stranger hovered nearby, his eyebrows lifting at the sight.

"That's a big horse."

Kelda smiled. "This is Soona. She's not very fast, but she's strong and sturdy." She stopped by a large stump, and used that as a mounting block. Her heavy skirts, already wet from the rain, got in the way a little, but she managed to clamber onto Soona's broad back. She twisted, and patted the spot behind herself. "Think you can get on?"

Unexpectedly, the stranger's teeth flashed into a brief grin. He strode forward, stepped onto the stump, and swung a leg over Soona. It was with an ease that suggested he was familiar with horses.

Then he settled against Kelda, his hands loosely settling around her hips. His voice came low in her ear. "Is this all right?"

Never had Kelda been more thankful for the dark of night. It hid the crimson raging over her cheeks.

"It's fine," she managed. This, she realized, was probably a terrible mistake. But it was too late to back out now. She had an injured man to save.

"Hya!" Her clear voice rang out, and Soona lurched into motion.