Wattpad Original
There are 57 more free parts

| 24 | Lock and Key

⥐ ⋞ ☽ ⋟ ⥐

| Jackson |

Although he was glad that he did something useful, Jackson couldn't help but feel conflicted about what he'd done. He slaughtered all those hunters like it was nothing; killing people wasn't something he should be proud of, so why did he feel accomplished?

He glanced at Damon, and when he looked back at the rest of the pack, he caught a few of them quickly taking their eyes off him. It was to be expected, though. Of course they'd be wary of him. He'd be weary seeing any of them sprout wings and horns all of a sudden, so he didn't blame them.

The power he felt running through him while in that form, though.... It was exhilarating and like he'd finally been set free. Was that how it was for all demons when they first found their demon form? He had so many questions, but the only person who could answer them was still locked up in the hunter camp, and so was his best friend.

However, there was one thing he was already sure of: he was going to learn to control this new power so that he could be more of an asset to the pack. He wasn't going to get shot or captured anymore; he was going to be just as useful as everyone else, and he'd prove that he wasn't weak.

Damon slowed down. "I see it up ahead," he told everyone.

Jackson set his eyes on a tent visible through the trees a hundred feet or so in front of them. It was Lewis' tent. "This is it," he confirmed, looking at Damon. He wanted to rush ahead and start helping get the cages open, but he wouldn't do so without Damon's approval. The last thing he wanted was to race off on his own and set off a trap or start something that got others hurt.

The Alpha took a step forward but then immediately stopped. "Wait," he called.

Everyone stopped behind him.

"What is it?" Jackson asked.

Damon nodded at the snow a few feet from them.

Jackson frowned and searched with his eyes, and when he spotted a shimmer of silver among the white, he understood. "A trap," he said, glancing at the Alpha.

"Tokala," Damon said.

The orange wolf nodded and started foraging around in the snow. It took him a moment to find a rock, and once he gripped it in his jaw, he threw it towards the trap. The moment the rock hit one of the teeth, the silver bear trap snapped shut, making most of the pack gasp.

"Keep your eyes peeled," Damon instructed, and then he began leading the way forward again.

Jackson nervously searched the ground as he walked, and after only taking a few steps, he spotted something else. He wasn't sure what it was, but it flickered just like the beartraps did in the sunlight, and he wasn't going to risk getting close.

"Damon," he said, and when the Alpha looked at him, he nodded in the direction he saw it.

The Alpha made the pack stop and lowered his head, searching the area Jackson pointed out. "I see it," he said.

Jackson watched the Alpha follow something with his eyes, and when it led them up the trunk of a tree, he saw what looked like a fishing line wrapped around a very small hook which had been hammered into the tree.

"That's a new one," Brando said.

"Alpha," Tokala said. He stepped forward and pointed his paw at four rocks placed in a perfect square shape. "There's a net under there. You trip the wire, the net grabs you, and you're left hanging in silver rope until the hunters come back."