39

ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS

—ERIK—

Erik had never seen Verksyia's military in person, but he hoped they were sharpening their weapons. They would need a surfeit of them if they were to take on the enemy soldiers that now rallied at the palace gates.

Two palace guards surrounded Erik and Marisol protectively, but Erik knew that in a real fight, him and his wife wouldn't require their protection. He looked to his side at Marisol, who's golden eyes were looking over the balcony. Her face blanched as if realizing the mass of the army.

But they made no move to injure the palace guards, or anyone else for that matter. It was as if they were waiting for a que. For someone. And in Erik's experience, he knew they were waiting for their general, the one who commanded the army.

It was only minutes ago that he had been dancing with Marisol.

He turned to the guards suddenly, knowing that if he didn't get his head right, the palace would fall. And he'd fail. He'd fail Marisol.

"Find my brother," Erik spoke, turning away from the balcony. "And tell the council to gather in my office."

He would not sit and wait for his enemies to strike first. He knew Marisol had been stunned into silence, not quite believing that anything like this could happen. But sometimes, war was sudden, with an agenda that didn't accommodate the surprise and defenselessness of prey.

The two guards looked to each other, stoned faces and hands at their swords. One of them had a strange pattern of ink stretched across his finger. A snake.

And that was all Erik needed to see.

Their enemies weren't outside the palace walls, no. They had somehow slithered inside undetected, inhabiting their space.

"We can't leave you, sir," one of them said, with a glance towards Marisol, who had turned her gaze of intensity on their interaction. "It's Verskyian protocol."

Sir. But not Your Majesty?

Marisol lifted her chin, vanished her worrisome frown, and smiled prettily. Then, she threw a fast jab at the guard nearest her, right in the face. He doubled over, clutching his jaw, a menacing glint in his eyes.

The other guard made a grab for her, and it was then that Erik's suspicions were confirmed. These were not Verskyian guards. He released the full might of his magic into the two foreign men, enjoying the rush of ice it brought to his brain. The steadiness it granted his stance.

Marisol looked to Erik as both men writhed on the floor, releasing inaudible screams. No blood leaked from their ears, or eyes.

"What sort of power is that?" She asked, stepping away from them, a hand on her chest.

His magic was rupturing their systems, turning their blood to poison and keeping it inside. It was a trick he learned abroad in a dark village he never wanted to return to.

"Cruel power," was all he said, stepping over the still writhing bodies. They would die soon enough. "Ready?"

She took a breath and met his attention, telling him with the hard set of her jaw that she would fight beside him. Once they entered the hall, there was no telling what sort of danger would lie waiting for them.

"We need to find Delphinia," she said, lifting her pale yellow dress and walking over the bodies. "War wasn't part of the deal."

                                   —THEMA—

Delphinia had not looked surprised when the guards sounded alarms and shouted the words no ruler wanted to hear.

INVASION.

Thema knew the Oracle had seen this exact scenario before, in a vision. Because Thema had seen it, too, though she had fought hard to convince herself that it couldn't possibly be real.

But now that the promise of warfare stared her in the face, she knew there was no denying it.

She turned to Delphinia, a sidelong glance. "What do they want?" Thema whispered.

Delphinia looked down at her, an expression that could only be worn by a woman who was grieved. Who loved her country. "Everything we don't fight for."

Thema heard footsteps bounding down the halls. Marisol's pale honey dress was stained red and blue. Specs of dark blood were splattered over half of Erik's face. 

The couple looked as if they had been dragged through the depths of hell, backs straight and eyes alert. Marisol let go of Erik's hand, marching up to Delphinia.

"I didn't sign up for a war," Marisol snarled. Parts of her hair were matted to her face. Her gold eyes were darker, bronze. "You lied to me."

Erik cut in. "They're inside the palace. We need to take care of that first." She wondered how many of them he already massacred.

Marisol whirled on him, losing that anger in her eyes. She looked at the blood on his face, frowned. Then she turned to Delphinia again. "Tell us what to do."

"Republic of Zardan!," she heard a shout. They were Drew's breathless words. He came down the hall with Reese at his side. Eugene and Jared flanked them, looking pale.

When they reached them, Reese looked over at Marisol, at the blood. When he determined that it didn't belong to her, his shoulders seemed to drop. "They killed Poe, Arlo's son."

A council members son was dead. Thema was afraid to see the list begin to amount.

"Where the hell is Captain Ferland?" Eugene said, walking up to Delphinia. "He needs to ready the militia."

Erik stilled, looking to Thema.

What had he done?

Six phantom-looking Verskyian guards limped up to them. The one with the most medals spoke. "We've been invaded."

Erik spun on him, an irritated scowl on his face. "We know."

Reese hid his smile.

The guard bowed. "We were ambushed. We don't know how they got past our defenses so quickly." He looked to his comrades, who were bleeding in all sorts of places. "There are only fifteen of us left."

"Fifteen?" Jared looked outraged.

"The rest are sending for the militias, in Quellton. We would've worked quicker if Captain Ferland were here," the guard answered, looking apologetic.

He then turned to Delphinia. "It's Zardan," his look was troubled. "Their...generals request an audience with the king and queen. They want to talk."

Sounds of ruckus could be heard from just outside the palace doors. Thema shivered, and she didn't miss the way Drew inched closer to Reese

Delphinia lifted her chin. "Let them in." She turned to Erik and Marisol, inclined her head. "Galvinus chose you both to lead Verskyia at its weakest. You're the only two strong enough to protect us, even if it may not feel like it at times."

The Oracle grabbed Marisol's hand, then Erik's. "I can not see what happens beyond this point," Delphinia admitted, eyes widening. "But when those doors open, I do know that you're all we have."