The Cat Has Visitors

I rubbed my eyes, the florescent ambiance of the office grating on my tired eyes. It doesn't look like it's just me. A lot of people were tired. One coworker bounced in with more energy than the room combined. She sat down and said hello.

"What go you so cheery this morning?" Her friend asked.

"...You have to promise to not judge me." The cheery girl said.

"Oh no."

"So you know that group that's been hanging around?"

"....you didn't."

"I wasn't! But....well when I told my neighbor about my issue, her friend said that something similar happened to her niece and that organization fixed it. "

"What kind of issue would a cult fix."

"I know how it sounds but, I told them about my issue and they brought me in this room with one of the most handsome guys I've ever seen. He took ONE look at me and immediately knew what was going on. He waved his hand over me and then gave me a talisman. My sleep's been cured all weekend. I didn't have to pay and I don't even have to come back."

"Be honest. You're just excited you saw a handsome guy."

"I'm not not excited about that."

Her friend laughed.

She's been having trouble sleeping too?

"I'm kinda curious." My coworker said.

I was about to tell her to absolutely not talk to anyone in that group but she leaned in conspiratorily.

"I mean how handsome can a cult leader be?"

I blinked at her and then snickered.

"Isn't that a cult requirement? One handsome guy per cult. For marketing."

"Right?" She laughed.

While we carried on like normal, I was a little worried. I thought Satoru took care of it but will I keep having nightmares until I visit them? How are they even doing this? I shook my head. It feels crazy to even consider this. A superpowered cat is one thing. Supernatural cult powers are another and the second I start to seriously consider that I might as well enroll. I finished the workday ready to pass out but I wanted to stop by the cat bakery. Especially since Satoru definitely deserves a treat for protecting me.

I went with my coworker who while good-natured was definitely more tired than I was. She looked weighed down almost but was determined to help me. Once we picked out some stuff, I told her to go home and immediately go to sleep.

"I look that bad?"

"You're the most beautiful near-comatose person I've met" I responded.

"Hopefully I'll level up to half-comatose tomorrow." She laughed.

When I got home, Satoru wasn't back yet. Of course, the day I finally managed to make my way to the cat bakery my cat is nowhere to be seen. I sighed, setting the package on the counter. My doorbell rang and I peeked through the hole. I didn't recognize either of these women. I was tempted to pretend I wasn't home when I heard a very familiar meow. Then I quickly opened the door and saw my cat sitting between them. His tail raised when he saw me and he jumped into my arms.

"Wow, are you cheating on me Satoru? Am I not appealing to your expensive tastes enough?" I cooed at him.

The ladies at the door looked disgusted and I immediately didn't trust them. It's fine if cats aren't your thing (you're wrong but it's fine) it's another thing entirely to hate them. Satoru rubbed against my face meowing all the while. Very chatty. Does he actually feel guilty? That's cute.