s e v e n

ᴀɴᴛʜᴇᴍ
ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ | ᴇᴅᴜᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

"Good afternoon parents!" Hayley called as she let herself into the house she'd bought for her parents a few years ago, Sophie by her side

"Hayley?" Her father, whom she took many of her features from poked his head around the hallway door from the living room, "What are you doing here?"

"Can I not visit my wonderful parents?" Hayley questioned, kicking off her shoes and hanging her puffer-jacket up on the wall hanger as Sophie scoffed, used to the banter between Hayley and her parents.

"You usually don't visit without any warning," Her dad frowned, "Is there something wrong?"

Hayley sighed as she pushed her hair back away from her face, "Nothing is wrong. Is mum watching the race?"

"Of course she is. You know she wouldn't miss the Grand Prix," Her da's concerned face morphed into a small smile as Sophie attempted not to laugh,

"Oh, she knows,"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Damien Webster glanced back to his daughter,

"I just wanted to get to know the sport a little more, you know," Hayley laughed a little awkwardly. She didn't want to admit to her dad that she was suddenly becoming interested in Formula 1 because of a boy,

"In here!" Her mum shouted from the room. Hayley squeezed past her dad, who seemed unwilling to move - still curious about what his only daughter was up to.

She greeted her mother with a kiss to her cheek, before settling down on the brown leather sofa beside her, reaching into the bowl on her lap to grab a few crisps, "I was wondering if you could teach me about what's happening?"

Her mum paused from chewing on the crisps for a moment, before nodding slowly, "I can... If you tell me why,"

"You didn't even want to know about the sport in detail before you performed the National Anthem at Silverstone, so why now?" Her dad asked as he finally removed himself from the doorframe and settled on the sofa perpendicular, next to Sophie who had curled up in her usual spot, "Sophie, would you tell us what's happening?

"I'll make an agreement with you both," Hayley swallowed her mouthful of snacks, "If you teach me about the race, I'll tell you why I want to know."

Her parents glanced at one another, before agreeing to the deal.

Her mother began to point things out on the screen - how there was a list of surnames down the left hand side, and a time next to each one - how far away the driver was to the one in front.

Hayley nodded her understanding as she found Charles' name on the list. It wasn't hard - being one of only two Ferrari driver. LEC, short for Leclerc. He was driving in fourth at the present moment, behind the two Mercedes drivers that her mother adored and his team mate. As Hayley asked more questions about what she saw on the screen, her mother went through her descriptions of the meaning of 'in' and 'out lap' and the importance of pit stop strategies. She tried explaining what DRS meant, but Sophie kept coming up with dirtier meanings for the abbreviations. She started to explain porpoising, but Hayley giggled at the name, and she was instead just told off for being childish.