14: Heart of Glass

The abandoned princess watched her family from a distance. They were smiling together, she wondered if she could smile like how the new princess does.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Dance.

Dance wasn't my forte. I was so bad at it that I might as well have two left feet.

"Sorry, brother," I apologize with a sullen face as I removed my foot.

Two meetings had already passed and yet we were still in the basic movement of dancing. Would it be much better if I just gave up than keep stepping on Aiden's foot over and over again?

The vibrant and rich sound of each note continues to play with the utmost care by the artist. Can I just listen and be mesmerized by the pianist's performance without dancing?

"One two and three. One two and three. Stop looking down, princess!" The instructor spoke loudly reverberating around the almost empty room. "Listen to the music and let the beat guide you."

"Y-yes."

"You don't have to say sorry every time you step on my foot, sister," Aiden spoke softly against the music. "Like I said I won't feel any pain because of the body enhancement magic. I can strengthen my skin, so stop worrying."

Ahh, how convenient.

"Look up, princess. The prince's eyes are still attached to his face and not on the floor. One two and three! One two and three! Now twirl!"

With an awkward twirl, I found myself not tripping and kissing the floor for the first time. 

A proud smile awaited me when I faced Aiden. "As a celebration for that perfect twirl, do you want to sneak out tomorrow since we don't have any lessons? The Winter Carnaval will open tomorrow at the Central, let's go and watch the performance of the Viera Troupe," Aiden said as he led the dance.

My eyes quickly shone in excitement. I couldn't care less about the carnival or the troupe but the thought of being out of the palace wall made my heart beat faster that it almost made me want to sneak out today.

"Alright, that's enough for today," the dance teacher spoke halting the music to a stop. "The party is just around the corner so please do practice when you have time, princess. It would be awful if you embarrass yourself in your first appearance in front of the public. And as your teacher, I won't let that happen." She looked at me full of determination with fire in her eyes like I was her lifetime goal. "I'll see you next week."

Only when the door shut leaving just me and Aiden did my brain finally comprehend the information. I quickly asked in a panic, "Pa-party?! What does she mean by the first appearance in public?"

What kind of party is she pertaining to? Is it– Don't tell me...

"It is what she said. It's already been decided that you'll be attending my birthday celebration." Aiden took my hand and dragged me towards the door. "You looked about to pass out, you must have been so hungry after dancing for two hours."

Aiden's birthday was on January fourth. I could feel the dread crawling slowly on my skin with the thoughts of appearing in front of the public's eyes. Two weeks is not enough for me to prepare myself.

"W-wait. I—"

"You can rest in the dining room, we don't want father to wait."

News after news came hitting me on the head.

"Why? " I wheezed in fright. I really think I might pass out. And whether I pass out or not I know for sure that Aiden will still drag me to where the king is. The last time I saw Edmund was months ago on my birthday. Did I do something to gain his attention?