Chrysanthemum and Lemons

The next morning, she woke up, and boiled water for a bath, taking the time to relax in the water before getting out and dressed.

While she was putting on her yukata, someone knocked at her front door, and her head tilted towards the sound out of habit.

‘Ah, perhaps it's one of the children come for tea again...’ she silently hoped, dressing herself in a hurry and slipping on her white tabi before rushing to the door.

Upon opening the sliding door, however, she paled even more than she already had... If that was even possible for a demon such as herself.

Standing there, on her shaded doorstep, was the same handsome slayer from the night before, wearing a bright grin with his eyes directed towards her.

‘A-Ah...I'm surely dead now...’

“Why, hello there, miss! I believe we had the pleasure of meeting briefly last night, did we not?” He asked boisterously, his confident attitude making her want to hide in her closet and never come out again; not out of fear, no, this was a different feeling that she couldn't quite explain very well.

“I... P-Perhaps we did...” she meekly replied, not meeting his burning gaze. He may not have said it, but she could sense that he was here for something... That something could very well be to behead her.

“If I may be so bold, may I have the honor of entering your lovely home?” He asked, still smiling widely.

Unwanting of any further possible suspicion, she nodded, swallowing thickly. “You m-may... Please, take your shoes off and follow me...”

She walked carefully, waiting as he respectfully removed his footwear and followed behind her, taking a seat when she motioned for him to. “I'll make some tea, um, j-just a moment–” she quietly began, but he held up a hand. “Please, I don't want to trouble you, I'm perfectly fine without!”

“Ah, no, I insist!” She exclaimed, waving her hands and then rushing into the kitchen to put on a kettle of water. It was proper manners to take good care of your guests... Even if there was a chance of them ending your life, though most people probably didn't have that type of burden constantly weighing them down...

After putting on the kettle, she took some of the treats she'd prepared for her younger visitors and put them in a dish and walked them out to him. “If you like, please enjoy one, I'd appreciate any advice on how I make them... Ah, o-only if they suit your tastes, of course...”

The man nodded, still smiling. “If you insist, then I shall; thank you for being so hospitable,” he said, taking one and smelling it before he took a small bite.

“Delicious!” He exclaimed after a moment, popping the rest of it into his mouth. “The only thing I have to say is that the paste is slightly dry! Just add a small amount of oil, and it will be perfect!”

“Oh, I see, thank you...” she said with a sigh of relief, resting a hand on her chest, “I was sure I messed it up somehow... That aside, ah... May I ask why you're here...?”

The man took another mochi in his hand, taking a bite. “I simply had the sudden desire to meet you properly, miss.”

“Oh, uh, I... I understand...” she quickly replied, fiddling with the waistband of her yukata. He most definitely couldn't just be here for something like that...

A period of silence passed, soon broken by the whistle of the kettle. “It sounds like the water is done, I'll bring it in... Just a moment, please,” she said, hastily going to get the water and placing it on a small tray with a cup and three small tins of tea leaves.