✧ 23 ✧

Beast's dirty claws reached Ilya's heaving chest, pinning him down

Beast's dirty claws reached Ilya's heaving chest, pinning him down. Their eyes met, a narrow sick gaze fixed on anxious pair of greens, sucking the color out of them.

I can't move. I can't move! Scary thoughts roamed Ilya's mind. He's gonna eat me now!

Lying on the cold floor as Beast leaned down on him, savoring the sweet smell of fear, Ilya made his move. He clutched his dagger and gritted his teeth. Yelling, he swung his weapon for a desperate attack.

SLASH! It was a hit.

"Ugh!" Beast snatched his arm back and stared at the fresh clean cut. "You little shit!"

Ilya freed himself from Beast's claws and sprinted out of the room.

"Hahahahahaaaaa!"

Beast laughed with a big crazy grin and wild yellow eyes. Then he started stretching his arms and jumped, wiggling his limbs like a wrestler before a fight. He was getting ready for a good old game of cat and mouse.

Finally, he cracked his neck and let out a sharp exhale.

"Wooh! This is gonna be so much fun." He placed his palm on the floor, crouching into an attack pose, then shouted, "Bring it, kid!"

On the other hand, Ilya managed to run far away from Beast, but not far enough. He heard him giggle and roar, an opposite mix of emotions that scared Ilya to death. He realized that he was at the mercy of an insane creature who lost every bit of his humanity in this darkness.

Finally, an exit sign flashed around the corner. It was placed above a door. Ilya assumed it must be leading to a stairway.

"Oh, thank God," Ilya said between his labored breaths.

He approached it at full speed. When he tried to slow down, his shoes slid along the polished floor, causing him to slam his body at the door.

A metallic clang resounded from the door as Ilya dropped to the floor, groaning. He touched his arm. It was tender and would definitely leave a bruise.

"I heard that!"

Beast's giddy voice alarmed Ilya. He felt sick to the verge of throwing up as his body heated. His whole nervous system was alert and working overtime to not go into panic mode.

Ilya jumped to his feet and pulled the double door open. It didn't budge. Then he tried pushing it. Nothing happened. Facing down, Ilya saw a thick steel pipe wrapped around the exit's handles. Whoever bent that could split him into two pieces easily.

"No, no, no," Ilya whimpered as his fingers grazed the cold metal. "This can't be happening."

Beast's crazy laugh reverberated.

Ilya gasped and looked behind him. Beast was nowhere to be seen, but Ilya could tell he was getting closer.

Ilya helplessly tried to open the door. He grabbed the pipe with both hands and huffed. With one foot on the ground and the other on the door, he pulled.