11. ✰

"I HEARD THAT in some countries, they mourn adults more than they do children," Nam-ra broke the overwhelming silence in the room, making everybody turn to her. "And in others, children more than adults. Which do you think our country is?" she challenged. "What do you mean?" Dae-su asked. "When kids die, you lose hope but... when adults die, you lose their wisdom. Hope and wisdom. Which do we value more?" Joon-yeong answered.

Ji-a looked up from her spot on the floor, pondering Joon-yeong's words. Helicopters whirring around caught Ji-a's attention, making her stand up and go up to Nam-ra who was also by the open window. "They've been flying all over the place since yesterday. They would have already saved us if they wanted to. But even if they do come to save us, we won't get out first. We're just not important enough for that. We're students. That's it," Nam-ra preached.

The class prez's words made Ji-a's heart clench. She knew Nam-ra was right. Ji-a placed her hand on top of Nam-ra's — who's hand was resting on the windowsill. Just then, a pair of Converse that had almost stepped on the girl's hands caught their attention. Ji-a's head shot up as she let out a sigh of relief at the sight of Su-hyeok — unharmed. She grabbed his hand as everybody rushed up, all of them helping him down.

His eyes didn't meet with anybody else's as he walked forward; and then froze in place, his back to everybody. "Are you okay, Su-hyeok?" Ji-a questioned, reaching up to put a hand on his shoulder. "Where's the phone?" Hyo-ryung asked. "And Cheong-san?" On-jo added. Ji-a's heart dropped as she realized Cheong-san didn't make it back. On-jo rushed to the window when Su-hyeok didn't reply, looking out for Cheong-san.

"Su-hyeok? Where is he?" On-jo asked worriedly. Su-hyeok slowly turned around, first locking eyes with Ji-a and then peered at On-jo. "We got separated at the teacher's office. I'm sure he'll be fine," Su-hyeok spoke carefully. "Are you serious? Oh, shit," Dae-su spluttered, him and Joon-yeong looking out the window. "I'm sorry... for coming back alone," Su-hyeok apologized. On-jo sucked in a sharp breath, looking down at her dirty shoes as tears pooled in her eyes.

Everybody fell into silence, and then began to spread throughout the room, engaging in their own small conversations. Ji-a left her place where Nam-ra and Chae-sol were talking to each other and walked up to On-jo who was staring out the window. When On-jo noticed Ji-a was next to her, she quickly reached up and wiped away her tears. "Hey," Ji-a smiled softly. "Hi," On-jo returned a sad smile.

"Cheong-san has the best survival skills out of any of us. He'll be okay, On-jo. And you know I wouldn't be telling you this if I didn't believe it myself," Ji-a giggled. On-jo chuckled lightly, nodding her head. "I can't help but be scared. I don't wanna lose him," On-jo admitted. "You won't," Ji-a shook her head. Silence fell between them as Ji-a thought about what she was gonna say next, running a hand through her long hair.

"I have to tell you something, On-jo. But, I'm not sure if this is the best time," Ji-a lowered the tone of her voice so nobody but On-jo could hear. "Is it good or bad?" On-jo questioned. "It depends on how you take it," Ji-a responded. "Just tell me. I don't think anything can be worse than what any of us have been through recently," On-jo murmured as she continued looking out the window.

"I like Su-hyeok," Ji-a breathed out, closing her eyes, scared to see On-jo's reaction. "I know," On-jo laughed, making Ji-a open her eyes. "Huh?" Ji-a furrowed her eyebrows. "I know you like Su-hyeok, Ji-a," On-jo smiled. "Shh! Keep your voice down," Ji-a whisper-yelled as she scolded On-jo with wide eyes, causing On-jo to start giggling at her. "I'm sorry," Ji-a sucked her bottom lip in between her teeth.

"For what?" On-jo tilted her head. "I shouldn't like someone who you like. I'm a really shitty friend. I would understand if you don't wanna be my friend anymore, even though it would hurt a lot. I'm sorry, On-jo," Ji-a began ranting.
"I like Cheong-san," On-jo simply told her friend, shrugging. Ji-a's eyes went wide at On-jo's words. "What?" Ji-a hissed, grabbing ahold of On-jo's shoulders. "I think I forced myself to like Su-hyeok to try to ignore the way Cheong-san makes me feel. I've always liked him and I'm just now realizing it," On-jo explained.